Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Empty
PostSubject: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime12th June 2009, 12:11 am

HT asked me to come up with some scenarios to make the upcoming HT tournament a bit different from the last few. So here is what I am thinking. If I have time to write up some scenarios, I am thinking of making them pseudo-linked. Obtaining one objective in game one will give you tournament points for that game AND will give you something to boot in your next game.... like a nuke... or a stack of oreo cookies.... or the ability to pick your table edge.... etc.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime12th June 2009, 9:55 am

In theory, it sounds good. In practice, you end up with people in the middle range (minor win game 1 playing minor loss game 1) who end up with a huge advantage over their opponent. If you got a minor win game 1 in a group of people that is not a power of 2, you could chain that advantage and keep winnign throughout the tournament. The other side is, if both people win game 1, and end up paired, who gets to choose table edge? =)
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime12th June 2009, 10:15 am

True, True - I don't want anything to imbalance the tournament play. I was actually thinking of keeping things small:

Maybe if you obtain intelligence in the first scenario, in your next game you get +1 to your die roll to pick sides/go first.

Maybe in the second game, if you kill your enemies HQ then in the third game you may roll 2 dice to seize the initiative or etc....
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime12th June 2009, 11:54 am

I would try something more along the lines of :

Scenario 1 : Capture the intelligence (marker). +2 battle points.
Scenario 2 : If you had the intelligence, redeploy 1 unit 6" while still inside your deployment zone. Get that unit to your opponents deployment zone alive at end of game. +2 battle points.

Something that won't directly change who will win or lose. 2 dice to seize the initiative means that I have a 11/36 chance to go first even though you deployed everything. In a low-terrain environment, +1 to choose side can also be pretty relevant in terms of dictating firing lanes and/or getting the 1 building on the table.

There's also manipulating the system. Say I play Matt, and I'm going to win. I make sure to let my HQ die while killing his, so we both get the advantage in the next game. It's why (imo) if you want to chain something like this, the chain should tie to bonus scenario points, not to whether you win or lose the next game.
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime12th June 2009, 11:55 am

Also, if you want to test anything, I can be free tonight, call me.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime12th June 2009, 12:25 pm

Good points all. I am going to work on these mostly next week, and will probably mostly model them off of existing tournament scenarios. I like your second recommendation alot. Redeploying one unit wouldnt be a game breaker at all. I am headed to the naturals game tonight, and then I am out of town all this weekend through Thursday at an inservice! Yuck!
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime14th June 2009, 10:57 pm

Hows this for the first scenario?

Hobby Town Scenario #1: Planetfall
The invasion has begun in earnest and your orders are simple. Secure the landing zone, rally your troops, and push any enemy encountered out of the area. Leave nothing to the enemy!

Deployment: Players will roll off for choice of deployment zone. Winning player may choose to either go first or second.

Prior to deployment, the players will then alternate placing 5 objective markers on the board. The player who will be going second will place the first and last marker. No marker may be placed within 12” of a table edge or another objective marker.

Players then follow the rules for a Dawn of War deployment: You may deploy up to 2 troops (Remember a dedicated transport counts as a choice!, and one HQ onto the table. (see p x of the BRB).

Important: Each player may now nominate one objective marker on the table to be removed from the game. The objective markers are removed from play, leaving a total of 3 remaining on the table.

The second player may then try to seize the initiative as normal.

The game will last 5 turns, and then on the roll of a 3+ will go to 6 turns. At the end of the 6th turn, on the roll of a 5+ there will be a 7th turn. However when the time limit is up the game immediately ends.

Remember the first turn is a NIGHT FIGHT!

Please do not start another game round unless both players have time for their turns – watch the clock.

Tournament Points Scoring:

Primary Objective – Secure the landing zone! (6, 4 or 2 Tournament Points): If you control 3 more objectives at the end of the game than your opponent you gain 6 TP. If you control 2 more objectives than your opponent you gain 4 TP. If you control 1 more objective than the opponent you gain 2TP. These points are not cumulative – you take the best score.

Secondary Objective – Kill ‘em all! (5 Tournament Points): The player with the most Kill Points at games end gains 5 TP. In the event of a tie, decide using Victory Points.

Tertiary Objective – Push them back (4 Tournament Points): The player with the most units in the enemy deployment zone at the end of the game gains 4 TP. In the event of the tie, the player with the most Victory Points in the enemies deployment zone gains these points.

Bonus Tournament Points:

+3 Your opponent has no troop units on the table at the end of the game.

+2 You have a unit (any type of unit) within 3” of every objective on the board at the end of the game.
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime15th June 2009, 11:34 am

I like it. It is pretty close to the standard missions in the way it will setup and play but with enough of a twist that it is refreshing and new. I would try to keep them all like this (similar to the standard missions) so that everyone is familiar with them. This will be a good warm up for some of the crazier missions in a tournament down the road.

I like that the VPs are spread out all over the place. It will make it easier for you to get some points. It is always discouraging when you get 0 points. Even if your opponent just whups you up one side and down the other you should be able to get a few points as long as you don't get tabled.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime16th June 2009, 12:42 am

Hobby Town Scenario #2: Secure the Find
An extremely ancient object of enormous power has been located. You must secure the object at all costs or your men have better die trying!

Deployment: Players will roll off for choice of deployment zone. Winning player may choose to either go first or second. The player going first may pick either long edge as his deployment zone. Models may be placed up to 12” onto the table. Any models may be placed into reserve, as normal.

Prior to deployment, the players will place a single objective marker on the center of the table. The player going first will deploy his army as normal, followed by the player going second. Infiltrators and Scout moves are taken care of as normal.

Following all deployment, but immediately before the beginning of turn one roll on the following table.
1-2 Move the objective 3d6” toward dice roller’s right short table edge.
3-4 Leave Objective in the middle of the table
5-6 Move the objective 3d6” toward dice roller left short table edge.

The game will last 5 turns, and then on the roll of a 3+ will go to 6 turns. At the end of the 6th turn, on the roll of a 5+ there will be a 7th turn. However when the time limit is up the game immediately ends.

Please do not start another game round unless both players have time for their turns – watch the clock.

Special Rules: ONE infantry squad that begins their turn in base contact with the objective may attempt to move it, provided it is not already controlled by an enemy unit.

A controlling squad may NOT shoot or assault, but may run. An infantry squad carrying the objective may get into a transport, but the objective may not move more than 12” in a players turn (its too fragile). If the controlling unit or transport is assaulted, pinned, destroyed, immobilized, flees, or loses combat, the objective is immediately placed back on the table 1” away from the controlling squad - determined by the opponent. A squad will NEVER voluntarily drop the objective once they pick it up – it is far too valuable.

Primary Objective – Capture the Find! (6 or 4)Tournament Points: If you move the squad carrying the objective to your own table edge, remove the squad and objective from the game. You gain 6 TP. Instead, if you have an infantry squad in control of the objective at the end of the game you gain 4 TP.

Secondary Objective – Cover Them! (5 Tournament Points): If you have no enemy models in your deployment zone at the end of the game, you gain 5 TP

Tertiary Objective – Give them no Refuge (4 Tournament Points): The player who controls the most terrain pieces (as per objectives) with scoring units at the end of the game gains 4 TP

Bonus Tournament Points:
+3 The opponent never had control of the objective or you caused them to drop it during the game.

+2 You have an Infantry squad that has not been destroyed at the end of the game.

Last edited by Wildeyedjester on 16th June 2009, 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime16th June 2009, 11:58 am

Quote :
Hobby Town Scenario #2: Secure the Find
An extremely ancient object of enormous power has been located. You must secure the object at all costs or your men have better die trying!

Deployment: Players will roll off for choice of deployment zone. Winning player may choose to either go first or second. The player going first may pick either long edge as his deployment zone. Models may be placed up to 12” onto the table. Any models may be placed into reserve, as normal.

Prior to deployment, the players will place a single objective marker on the center of the table. The player going first will deploy his army as normal, followed by the player going second. Infiltrators and Scout moves are taken care of as normal.

Following all deployment, but immediately before the beginning of turn one roll on the following table.
1-2 Move the objective 3d6” toward dice roller’s right short table edge.
3-4 Leave Objective in the middle of the table
5-6 Move the objective 3d6” toward dice roller left short table edge.

The above looks good. Pretty standard from some other scenarios. Nothing too tricky.

Quote :
Special Rules: ONE infantry squad that begins their turn in base contact with the objective may attempt to move it, provided it is not already controlled by an enemy unit.

Should this be a troop choice instead of infantry squad? Some armies can filed all non-infantry. And most armies will have non-troop infantry fielded. The restriction below would keep fast troop choices from running off with it.

Quote :
A controlling squad may NOT shoot or assault, but may run. An infantry squad carrying the objective may get into a transport, but the objective may not move more than 12” in a players turn (its too fragile). If the controlling unit or transport is assaulted, pinned, destroyed, immobilized, flees, or loses combat, the objective is immediately placed back on the table 1” away from the controlling squad - determined by the opponent. A squad will NEVER voluntarily drop the objective once they pick it up – it is far too valuable.

Looks like a typo in the points values on this first section.

These looks good. A bit busy but that will make it fun. I think it will be very hard to get all of the points in this mission. I kind of like that. Will make the games real close if you have to work hand over fist to get 10-15 points a game. Lots of tension.

Quote :
Primary Objective – Capture the Find! (6 or 3)Tournament Points: If you move the squad carrying the objective to your own table edge, remove the squad and objective from the game. You gain 6 TP. Instead, if you have an infantry squad in control of the objective at the end of the game you gain 4 TP.

Quote :
Secondary Objective – Cover Them! (5 Tournament Points): If you have no enemy models in your deployment zone at the end of the game, you gain 5 TP

Tertiary Objective – Give them no Refuge (4 Tournament Points): The player who controls the most terrain pieces (as per objectives) with scoring units at the end of the game gains 4 TP

Bonus Tournament Points:
+3 The opponent never had control of the objective or you caused them to drop it during the game.

+2 You have an Infantry squad that has not been destroyed at the end of the game.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime16th June 2009, 2:06 pm

I was thinking infantry squad so termies, storm troopers, ogryn and etc could move the objective

bsimon what do you think so far?
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime16th June 2009, 5:21 pm

Scenario 1 :
I'd change condition 1 to "You get 2 VP per objective you control". This helps the loser of the 2-1 game a bit, and makes language a log cleaner IMO.
Deployment : dedicated transports count as 1 of your 2 troops? Does each separate IG platoon squad count separately? Seems anti-mech.
Tertiary objective - Victory Points or Kill Points in deployment zone?

Scenario 2 :
Seems to favor horde armies greatly. Couple that with controlling more objectives than opponent for more VPs. Seems like kill points should be in there somewhere as a counterbalance.

Also seems like a LOT of these scenarios are good to experienced tournament players, but nothing really in the way of "you won, x points" for the newer players who still are learning rules. 5 separate points conditions for each scenario; is there paint/ comp also at this event? Don't get me wrong, I like these. Someone want to play one tonight?
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime16th June 2009, 7:49 pm

bsimon wrote:
Scenario 1 :
I'd change condition 1 to "You get 2 VP per objective you control". This helps the loser of the 2-1 game a bit, and makes language a log cleaner IMO.
Deployment : dedicated transports count as 1 of your 2 troops? Does each separate IG platoon squad count separately? Seems anti-mech.
Tertiary objective - Victory Points or Kill Points in deployment zone?

I will change the wording as you suggested.

This is actually a rule right out of the rulebook next to dawn of war. If you read the example deployment it states that a transport counts as one of your two deployment choices.

bsimon wrote:

Scenario 2 :
Seems to favor horde armies greatly. Couple that with controlling more objectives than opponent for more VPs. Seems like kill points should be in there somewhere as a counterbalance.

Also seems like a LOT of these scenarios are good to experienced tournament players, but nothing really in the way of "you won, x points" for the newer players who still are learning rules. 5 separate points conditions for each scenario; is there paint/ comp also at this event? Don't get me wrong, I like these. Someone want to play one tonight?

The first and the third scenario will be kill point scenarios, with the first benefitting faster armies. The second scenario leans toward hoard, and the third scenario will favor the player who brings the biggest beating stick.

They are a bit tougher scenarios, but they are what is run at adepticon and the Big waaagh with 3 objectives and bonus points added in. We were fine with the simpler versions, but Mike wanted to up the ante a bit. One of the benefits of these is that usually both people will get some points, since its hard to do everything. There's not a paint score this weekend, just battle and sportsmanship.

Thanks for the input! Let me know if you think of anything else! We will only be using these if Mike wants to use them.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime17th June 2009, 10:51 pm

Hobby Town Scenario #3: Eliminate the Enemy. As the fighting rages across the planet, you see an opportunity to eradicate your enemy entirely. Crush them without mercy but mind the unstable battlezone.

Deployment: Players will roll off for choice of deployment zone. Winning player may choose to either go first or second. The player going first may pick any table quarter as his deployment zone. Any models may be placed into reserve, as normal.

Special Rules: After both armies have deployed, beginning with the player to go first – each player must declare one piece of terrain on the board to be considered dangerous terrain for the duration of the game.

Primary Objective – Destroy them Entirely! (6 Tournament Points): The player who has the most kill points at the end of the game receives 6 Tournament Points

Secondary Objective – Cut off the Head of the Snake! (5 Tournament Points): If your opponents highest points cost HQ is destroyed, fleeing, or is not on the table at games end you gain 5 Tournament Points.

Tertiary Objective – Leave Nowhere to Hide(4 Tournament Points): The player who controls the most table quarters with scoring units at the end of the game gains 4 TP (Control as objectives)

Bonus Tournament Points:

+2 Your opponent has no Heavy Choices on the board at the end of the game.

+3 Your opponent has no Elite or Fast Attack Unit choices on the board at the end of the game.
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime18th June 2009, 8:55 am

I like this one. It is very straight forward. You have multiple targets to kill though, so it adds a bit of trickery to it. One question though, what is with the objective in the middle of the board? I don't see where it gives TP?
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime18th June 2009, 11:05 am

What happens when you have multiple HQ choices at the same cost?
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime18th June 2009, 1:14 pm

When we run into something like that playing at home we will just nominate one of them at the start of the game to count for the objective if they are the same points cost.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime18th June 2009, 2:14 pm

Yup. Pick one.

Yes, the bit about the objective is a copy paste error and will be removed. Thanks for catching it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:   Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament: Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scenarios for Hobby Town Tournament:
Page 1 of 1