Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

question about some terrain stuffs

Go down 
+2
Fulminata
Brutal
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Brutal
Blind Ratling Sniper

question about some terrain stuffs Empty
PostSubject: question about some terrain stuffs   question about some terrain stuffs Icon_minitime30th July 2009, 4:42 am

anyone know where i can find some very thick foam for building tables or other large terrain im really looking for like 4 inch slabs or something like that?
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: question about some terrain stuffs   question about some terrain stuffs Icon_minitime30th July 2009, 8:51 am

The thickest high density foam I've seen around here is only about an inch thick. I'm planning on just using it in layers when I get around to building my Flames of War table.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: question about some terrain stuffs   question about some terrain stuffs Icon_minitime30th July 2009, 10:03 am

I think Hobby Town has some in their clearance area. It was for Model Rail Roading and I think they have some thicker chunks - but these are smaller pieces and not the 8' x 4' insulation foam you can get at Lowes. I have no idea how much the thicker chunks are, but since they are a foam for a specialty (railroading) I bet they aren't cheap. I also think Hobby Lobby carries some thicker foam too.

Typically, we buy the big sheets at Lowest or Home Depot and then just take a bunch of pieces and glue them together and toss something heavy on them until they dry. Then we use a hot wire cutter and cut through the glued together pieces. If you don't like the lines where the pieces joined then you can just lightly cover with spackle.

Hope this helps - let me know if I can answer any questions!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: question about some terrain stuffs   question about some terrain stuffs Icon_minitime30th July 2009, 11:17 am

Lowe's recommended auto body shops for foam in thick chunks. They said the auto shops use it inside seats and have 6" thick blocks.
Back to top Go down
Brutal
Blind Ratling Sniper

PostSubject: Re: question about some terrain stuffs   question about some terrain stuffs Icon_minitime30th July 2009, 1:20 pm

thanks for the tips. have to see what i can find
Back to top Go down
sirhelnor
Red Space Marine Plasma Donor
Red Space Marine Plasma Donor
sirhelnor

PostSubject: Re: question about some terrain stuffs   question about some terrain stuffs Icon_minitime1st November 2010, 12:12 pm

I'm going to update this, since i've been looking into it for work anyway...

2 inch and 3 inch foam are the thickest you can get these days, but they're being phased out in the area, and 1 inch is becoming the construction industry standard, at least here down south.

that being said, you can still get the 2 and 3 inch foam from a place called Darraugh's, for about $60.00 and $75.00 respectively. If you're buying a huge amount, you can also place in orders with supply companies up north, where they actually use that insulation, and have it shipped down.

Honestly, with 1 inch foam at $13.00 a sheet, it's much more cost effective to buy several sheets at Lowe's and laminate them up to the thickness you need. It's also much easier to find too.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: question about some terrain stuffs   question about some terrain stuffs Icon_minitime1st November 2010, 2:29 pm

Lowe's is phasing out 2" foam? Very sad...
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: question about some terrain stuffs   question about some terrain stuffs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

question about some terrain stuffs
Page 1 of 1