Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fantasy - Which One

Go down 
+6
gamewizard
Dannato
big_d
Monkey
bsimon
Wildeyedjester
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

Fantasy - Which One Empty
PostSubject: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 10:44 am

Lets cut cake and talk turkey.

Say I was interested in starting a Fantasy army.

Say I was interested in painting clean bold colors.

Say I was interested in NOT painting eleventy million little dudes.

Say I was interested in the army being competitive (not bottom tier).

Based on this, and based on the rumors floating around the net.

Which army would I build?

High Elves?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 11:00 am

Chaos Warriors or High Elves would fit.
Back to top Go down
Monkey
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 11:05 am

I'm going to jump on the Jester's bandwagon (no double entendre intended).

Say I wanted to start a fantasy army.

Say I wanted to have as many models as possible actually matter so that the immense amount of time it takes me to paint does not feel wasted.

Say I want it to be an at least mid-to-upper tier with the new rules. (Or, rather what we know of them thus far.) I understand I will likely get romped for at least a year, but I'd rather that be because I suck than because my codex does.

Say I want at least one centerpiece model that is large and imposing.

Any help?

Last edited by Monkey on 7th June 2010, 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 11:15 am

Definately Dark Elves. Hydras, Repeater Bolt Throwers on scenic dioramas, Manticores, and Chariots are all good centerpiece options. Also, it's a very clean look, and the infantry should fare well in what I've seen of the revisions.
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 11:20 am

@ Monkey - Pure Goblins.
Back to top Go down
Dannato
Spirit Guide to Lost Souls
Dannato

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 11:24 am

I'm actually thinking about going back to goblins for 8th just to run movement trays of fanatics and hoppers
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 1:41 pm

My opinion ( for what it's worth ) would be Orks $ Gobs or Chaos Daemons.

Stay as far away from Empire as you can unless you can judge distances without error. That talent is needed for the Empire cannons; which are a necessity in an Empire army. Placing a 12" measuring stick on the table in front of you so as to help gauge distances will earn you a "0" in Sportsmanship scores at tournaments.

At least it did me. My opponents at the one Sooie event I played with Empire were not amused with my little red stick tactic.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
Dannato
Dannato

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 4:15 pm

Matt, Any pics of the of the DE mini you mentioned sunday?
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 6:17 pm

You know what has finally decided (for me) that daemons of chaos are my next fantasy army?

This guy

Putting him on a chariot. Done.
Back to top Go down
Kragg
Ork Boy without teef
Ork Boy without teef
Kragg

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 6:27 pm

Wildeyedjester wrote:
Say I was interested in painting clean bold colors.

Say I was interested in NOT painting eleventy million little dudes.

This part sounds like a Bretonnian army. I know nothing about the competitive part since I haven't played a fantasy game in 5 years.
Back to top Go down
Monkey
Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 6:49 pm

https://i.servimg.com/u/f69/15/29/21/18/img_1512.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f69/15/29/21/18/img_1515.jpg

The first picture gives a good view of the cloak and the base. I was going for a broken paving stone look.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 6:53 pm

capnwoodrow wrote:
You know what has finally decided (for me) that daemons of chaos are my next fantasy army?

This guy

This was totally awesome.

What I thought was ridiculous was all the posts saying "He looks too Khorney; make him look like a fluffy Ewok or something like that"

Ok, I exaggerate about the fluffy Ewok, but not by too much.

The mini looks awesome; I hope if he makes changes he makes it so that it has weapons options. Putting a non-optional flail or axe on it would ruin it for a Daemons choice.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 6:54 pm

Monkey wrote:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f69/15/29/21/18/img_1512.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f69/15/29/21/18/img_1515.jpg

The first picture gives a good view of the cloak and the base. I was going for a broken paving stone look.

This looks HAWT, Monkey! As all your stuff does.
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 7:08 pm

Kragg wrote:

This part sounds like a Bretonnian army. I know nothing about the competitive part since I haven't played a fantasy game in 5 years.

Current rumor is that Infantry can fight in 2 ranks and don't lose attacks for casualties, but cavalry is still only the front rank. That will weaken cavalry quite a bit comparatively.
Back to top Go down
Kragg
Ork Boy without teef
Ork Boy without teef
Kragg

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 7:59 pm

I would assume that rule does not apply to the lance formation. Unless that is going away too.
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 8:14 pm

Based on current rumors I expect Elves to get a lot more popular. That takes you from 0-2 attacks coming back, to 11 before you get to swing. Your casualties will likely reduce your attacks back as well. I've also seen rumors on variable charge distances over and over, which takes away the largest part of your advantage. No backup ward save from attacks back also will hurt.
Back to top Go down
guyverlord3
Vanilla Marine with Blue Armor
Vanilla Marine with Blue Armor
guyverlord3

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 11:33 pm

I would say if you want a good army that can take a hit and hit hard, without many models. I would go with lizardmen. They are very well rounded and take be a big or small army and play very well
Back to top Go down
http://www.stevenlykins.com
warhammerworld
Apothecary with a box of band aids
Apothecary with a box of band aids

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime7th June 2010, 11:36 pm

capnwoodrow wrote:

This guy

You decided on demons when they rolled you up in 3 turns! Be honest. New sport, power army! Why not? Got a feeling that Demons won't get fixed, just more nasty with new edition. Try and soften it as much as you can, but the book is as broken as the IG book!
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime8th June 2010, 7:38 am

I think High Elves would fit your current selection of options pretty well. Just don't make them white and blue and you should be alright.

You could also build them competitively or you could build them like warhammerworld's list. Wink
Back to top Go down
Dannato
Dannato

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime8th June 2010, 1:50 pm

that corsair looks amazing looking forward to seeing more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - Which One   Fantasy - Which One Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fantasy - Which One
Page 1 of 1