Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Legion list feedback

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Whirlpool
Eldar with a tramp stamp
Whirlpool

Legion list feedback Empty
PostSubject: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime16th September 2012, 4:43 am

Just to see if I'm going in the right direction, I wanted to post this list for feedback before I decide how I would want to play as legion. I have no experience in hordes or Warmachine so any advice would help.

Lylyth, shadow of everblight

min Legionaries

max blighted nyss archers + officer and porter

spawning vessel- (spawning stingers)

2x protectors

2x shepherds

scather crew

forsaken

bolt thrower (included with Lylyth's +5 warbeast)
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime16th September 2012, 9:32 am

If bsimon drops by, he'll be able to give you top tier legion advice.

My .02 - put a ravagore or 2 in and a shredder to give out tenacity. Legion needs beasts. Hordes doesn't like infantry. The list as is doesn't appear to have a way to crack heavy army either, so i'd look into a Scythean or Typhon.

You don't need the shepherds and forsaken to fury manage one beast.

How many points are you shooting for?
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime16th September 2012, 12:07 pm

Shadow is epic Lylyth. All her stuff is battlegroup really, so she likes a large battlegroup. If so, do you already own this or are you looking to purchase it? If it's your shopping list, skip some of it.

Archers: point for point Striders are almost always better. Advance Deploy, true stealth, and hunter lets you use terrain to hide and not get shot back.

Legionaires: They're a decent choice, and I use them to screen beasts sometimes for eLylyth. I also use swordsmen or hex hunters or sometimes striders, but never more than 1 infantry unit.

Spawning vessel: I assume a max unit. A decent choice for her, not amazingly good or bad, but decent.

Protectors: I haven't even assembled mine. Shield guard isn't as necessary for most games. You're giving up a gun to get it. Another bolt thrower or a Naga would be better.

Scather crew: It's not horrible for 3 points, but Ravagore is better in every way.

For comparison, my 35pt eLylyth list:
eLylyth
2 Ravagores
1 Naga Nightstalker
1 Succubus

2 Shepherds
Min legionaires
Max Spawning vessel
2 Deathstalkers

Alternately, replace legionaires, vessel, and 1 shepherd with max swordsmen. You just need something to throw in the way of enemies while you shoot.
Back to top Go down
Whirlpool
Eldar with a tramp stamp
Whirlpool

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime16th September 2012, 2:50 pm

This is just a shopping list to get started in hordes. This is a 35pt list plus the extra +5 warbeast from lylyth(40pts in total). I must have found an old codex to look at online because there are no naga or succubus . I'll have to find their stats to look at before I decide anything I guess.

I chose the nyss archers and officer to get duel shot and ROF2 on them in unison with eLylyth's snipe feat, as well as getting double the troops for about the same cost. With eLylyth's Shadow pack ability giving them all stealth I thought would be enough. Keep in mind I know almost nothing about the game, this was just my thought process.

The spawning vessel is indeed a max unit. I figured with so many living infantry it wouldn't hurt to have some lesser beast coming out to play as the troops thin.

I had intent on using the protectors/shepherds, bolth thrower, and forsaken with the legionaries as a "front line" while everything else supports them. I figured with 3 light warbeasts and a couple lesser beasts 2 shepherds would come in handy; and the forsaken just incase I need to go berserk on something.

The warbeasts are so expensive that I was having trouble justifying something that could be taken down in just a few hard hits vs. a unit of troops that could do similar things for less points/ or force way more attacks to do the same damage due to model count.

What would be good stats to look for as an anti-heavy unit?

Mod: No posts to online PDFs of physical products, please.

Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime16th September 2012, 2:55 pm

1) Lylyth only gives stealth to her battlegroup, not her army.
2) Succubus & Naga are in Domination.
3) Weaponmaster kills heavies.
4) You need some games in I think. =) Stop by Will's Friday or Brian's Saturday. Point for point beasts are far more efficient in Hordes than jacks in Warmachine. At 50, my eVayl list runs 5 heavy beasts, 1 light, and 2 lessers, and if it wasn't for the animus it'd be 0 lights. Light beasts either need a great animus or a unique ability; the Naga fortunately has both (Wraithbane, and untyped damage).
Back to top Go down
Whirlpool
Eldar with a tramp stamp
Whirlpool

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime16th September 2012, 3:07 pm

I definitely need some games in! I'm going to try to make it up to Will's on Friday, see if I can scrape together enough for a starter box or something. Thanks for the advice, most appreciated! Now I can start wrapping my head around everything you guys have said.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime16th September 2012, 3:39 pm

The Naga and Succubus are in Domination.
Back to top Go down
DreadArchon
Necron Pariah visiting a shrink
DreadArchon

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime17th September 2012, 7:48 am

Personally I would drop the Spawing Vessel and Legionaires for Striders.

This would leave you with 1 point to play with and maybe upgrade a shepard to a forsaken
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime17th September 2012, 5:43 pm

Spawning vessel is OP.
Back to top Go down
Whirlpool
Eldar with a tramp stamp
Whirlpool

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime17th September 2012, 7:22 pm

I've decided I'm going to get a starter box first and go from there. My reasoning behind the spawning vessel is so I don't have 4 shredders not being played. For three points the vessel could easily produce 3 shredders if you kill off all of its grunts and the vessel. That would double it's value in shredders without even seeing true combat. If used like it should be I could probably justify that 4th shredder coming into play as well. I would get 8 pts in models for the cost of only 3 if everything worked out well.

Since i'm getting the starter set I'll have a Carnivean to throw into the mix and hopefully be the anti armor unit. Would that be a viable option? As for the rest of the list, I'm going to learn the game better before I invest in anything. I'm sure I'll change my mind on a lot of this after I get a better understanding of it all.

OP.??? Does that stand for- optional, out of production, overpowered? haha sorry if that's a dumb question.
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime17th September 2012, 10:59 pm

You almost always want to start with 1 Shredder in your list. Also, don't glue the Carnivean arms/ head on - magnetize, so when you buy a heavy kit, you can swap out to run Ravagore + Scythean. I run a Carnivean with 1 lock total (pThags).
Back to top Go down
DreadArchon
DreadArchon

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime18th September 2012, 6:26 pm

Over Powered

I just have trouble justifiying a 3 point unit THAT CLOSE to the front at 35pts or less when 2 points buys a shredder that can hang back and not die. Also provides a nice transfer target.
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime18th September 2012, 6:54 pm

You need to play the spawning vessel then. At worst, if you buy a max unit and kill off the soup ladies, you get 2 shredders for 3 points, and can change one on the fly to a harrier or stinger.
Back to top Go down
DreadArchon
DreadArchon

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime19th September 2012, 8:48 am

Maybe so

I usually try to assasinate/attrition as quickly as possibe with Lylyth2 so I havent gotten many corpse tokens on the vessel with her
Back to top Go down
DreadArchon
DreadArchon

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime19th September 2012, 1:25 pm

Odd I never noticd that it can be YOUR MODELS that provide the corpse tokens

A max unit would generate 2 shredders

Lylyth 1 could use one but Lylyth 2 im still not sold on
Back to top Go down
Whirlpool
Eldar with a tramp stamp
Whirlpool

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime19th September 2012, 1:44 pm

Later down the road I'll probably get some stingers and a bolt thrower or two. The bolt thrower just looks really cool to me. I probably won't worry about being too competitive as long as I can have some fun, but I would like to at least throw a balanced list together. I figured shepherds would help with fury management better than forsaken until I get used to everything; and they can heal beasts too so that's a plus. I'll probably end up scraping this list after a few games with the starter box. I'm still in a 40k mentality where troops are key players. Someone's going to have to beat that out of me. Thanks again for all the advice, it's really helped!
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime19th September 2012, 2:01 pm

Trust me, you'll want the Naga more than the BT.

Also, stop by Will's Friday and you'll see why beasts are better.
Back to top Go down
Whirlpool
Eldar with a tramp stamp
Whirlpool

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime19th September 2012, 2:14 pm

I checked out the naga but didn't see anything I especially liked, but I'm new so what do I know. lol I'm planning on being up there this friday if nothing drastic happens before then. Maybe I can get a game in. I trust your judgement, I just can't shake the 40k mentality yet; that'll take some games I think.
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime19th September 2012, 5:42 pm

The Naga is a BT with stealth and a blessed weapon, for 1 less point, that fixes Lylyth2's worst matchup.

I'll demonstrate if Sean is there.
Back to top Go down
DreadArchon
DreadArchon

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime20th September 2012, 9:13 am

Play what you want at first. The great thing about warmahordes is the points system is fairly accurate.
Back to top Go down
Whirlpool
Eldar with a tramp stamp
Whirlpool

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime20th September 2012, 11:36 pm

Well that explanation does make naga seem way better. I think I'm sold. So after all the advice I made a new list; tell me what you think.

35pts

eLylyth
Naga
Raek
Stinger
min striders

Shredder
min Warmongers?
Carnivean (Ravagore,Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew)?
max Spawning vessel
x2 Shepherd

I could be completely wrong, but this is my thought process for this list:

I think a mix of speed/ "stick and move" range, and a power force might be okay. At this point I'm determined to get a vessel for lesser beast spawning, so warmongers might not be my best option. I'm still not clear on succubus vs Shepherd. With all the fury I could create I feel the need for a lot of management potential either way. I'm also not clear on how battle groups are formed.

I like eLylyth on paper better, but I could make both work with a slight adjustment in model selection. The stinger's animus is perfect for the striders; one more spawning from the vessel would make it ideal. The same with another shredder or two for my stronger side. eLylyth's "pin cushion" at range 15 and her feat would put out a lot of decent attacks at that range, and without it the potential of a 16" range. Follow that up with a Naga and Raek in the unit, ready to pounce into an advanced position/ assassination run after the warlocks been softened up a bit, and it might be a rounded fast attack/ flanking group.

The power side would be the front line. Shredders would be in front preventing charges and blocking lanes. Warmongers behind them until they get in charge range, and the Carnivean (maybe a ravagore) in back/side. If I go with a Ravagore I would free up one point. That could go towards a Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew, allowing either group to have some concealment in open ground. The Shepherds need to stay safely behind for fury management/ healing, but the vessel needs to be somewhat closer to the front lines. The vessel also has the "last call" ability letting it make a special action when its disabled, so if it has 3 tokens it can spawn another beast upon its death. This would require me killing three of my own units (legionaries or something) or enemies then kill the thing myself if need be. It could also block LOS for a shepherd or Lylyth if play right.

Splitting forces wouldn't always be the way to go. I think this list could still work as one solid brick or even a line. Anyway, this is just my though process while making this list.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Legion list feedback   Legion list feedback Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Legion list feedback
Page 1 of 1