Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Salamander test models

Go down 
+4
Verminlord
big_d
Fethos
bdix
8 posters
AuthorMessage
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

Salamander test models Empty
PostSubject: Salamander test models   Salamander test models Icon_minitime14th July 2011, 7:33 pm

I need feedback. I want to do a reverse color scheme, but I've about decided to give up and go traditional. Either way, I plan on doing a lot of conversions. The first two are aobr marines that I painted up to test the orange scheme. The third one is a dragon cave that I am carving up for my display board.
Salamander test models Sany0414

Salamander test models Sany0415

Salamander test models Sany0412
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Salamander test models   Salamander test models Icon_minitime14th July 2011, 7:37 pm

I have no idea what I have done to the thumbnails, but I can't fix it. If you click on them they kind of show up. Pretty blurry though.
Back to top Go down
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
Fethos

PostSubject: Re: Salamander test models   Salamander test models Icon_minitime14th July 2011, 7:52 pm

The dragon head looks freakin' awesome.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Salamander test models   Salamander test models Icon_minitime14th July 2011, 10:18 pm

Thanks man. I just realized that I didn't give a size reference for it. It is carved from a block of 8x8x8 in. foam.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Salamander test models   Salamander test models Icon_minitime25th July 2011, 7:44 pm

I abandoned the reverse paint scheme. It looked terrible when I had three models side by side with it. I am going with the traditional salamander colors now. I'll have to rely on my conversions to make the army stand out. Here are some shots of a new test model next to my banner.

Salamander test models Sany0510

Salamander test models Sany0511
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Salamander test models   Salamander test models Icon_minitime25th July 2011, 9:25 pm

I'm digging the skin color. The bright green is really going to pop on the table.
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: Salamander test models   Salamander test models Icon_minitime25th July 2011, 9:55 pm

I have a Salamander metal backpack with cloak attached if your interested.
Back to top Go down
Sweet E
Mordheim Master Bat(tl)er
Sweet E

PostSubject: Re: Salamander test models   Salamander test models Icon_minitime25th July 2011, 11:30 pm

As much as I wanted the orange to work........ the green looks better. Keep posting your progress, its looking really good.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Salamander test models   Salamander test models Icon_minitime30th July 2011, 2:03 pm

I slopped this last one together, but I think it is atleast the style and scheme I am gonna go with. I need help with my highlights, what color do I use for my first and second highlight? I am base coating in snot green. I thought the cloaks came out looking pretty decent.

Salamander test models Sany0512

Salamander test models Sany0513
Back to top Go down
Dannato
Spirit Guide to Lost Souls
Dannato

PostSubject: Re: Salamander test models   Salamander test models Icon_minitime30th July 2011, 7:16 pm

My only suggestion would be to do the cloak in orange or red.
Back to top Go down
Monkey
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Salamander test models   Salamander test models Icon_minitime30th July 2011, 9:48 pm

If you're using a wash like Badab Black, you can use the original color as a very faint highlight and then choose a lighter color of the same hue (i.e. green) or even mix some white with the original color.
Back to top Go down
Cpt_Tiberius
Grey Space Marine with the mange
Grey Space Marine with the mange
Cpt_Tiberius

PostSubject: Re: Salamander test models   Salamander test models Icon_minitime30th July 2011, 11:39 pm

Use Scorpion green as your highlight. You seem to be going for a vivid color scheme and this will help. You can also glaze your model with a green wash, for a richer color.

Also, I second Dan's comment on the cloak. Though I think you should go for a more neutral color so it doesn't fight visually with the rest of your figure. I would suggest this:

Skin:
Basecoat - dark flesh
Highlight - Vermin Brown

Scales:
Basecoat - Scab Red
Highlight - Red Gore

Wash - Devlan Mud & thraka green to help tie it back to the green armor.

Finally, your highlights are way to thick, try a smaller brush. a few edge highlights go a long way.
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Salamander test models   Salamander test models Icon_minitime31st July 2011, 12:24 am

Red will really make the green pop. I wouldn't do the whole cloak but maybe just the bumps. I really like the way the cloaks worked out. Looking sharp. I would go with monkey's advice and start with a watered down black wash and then highlight with the original color and see what it looks like.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Salamander test models   Salamander test models Icon_minitime31st July 2011, 2:31 am

I am using my homebrew black wash, which I think looks amazing. The models have been looking good up to the point of highlighting. I think Tiberious hit the nail on the head when he said my highlights were too broad. I will try to thin them down on my next test model.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Salamander test models   Salamander test models Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Salamander test models
Page 1 of 1