Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Just finished my first gang

Go down 
+5
Haren
capnwoodrow
bdix
gamewizard
big_d
9 posters
AuthorMessage
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

Just finished my first gang Empty
PostSubject: Just finished my first gang   Just finished my first gang Icon_minitime21st September 2010, 11:10 pm

I just finished painting up the Perdita box. I worked on these guys on Saturday and then a bit last night and tonight. These models were a treat to paint, but at the same time there were some new things on them that I hadn't painted before that proved to be a bit of a challenge.

These models had a TON of leather on them. I haven't painted much leather outside of belts and pouches, and all these models had trench coats or chaps.

Another challenge was the hair on Perdita - there is as much hair as there is model. I ended up lucking out by painting over the base coat with some Vallejo Smoke Glaze - it did the trick and I was happy with the end results.

No pictures yet, I lost the charger for my camera but I ordered another one - will post pics as soon as it comes in.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first gang   Just finished my first gang Icon_minitime24th September 2010, 12:21 am

I've heard a complaint that the models are a little too delicate to actually game with. They look great as models to possible use in a role playing game or to be admired from afar but for war gaming purposes they have a slight fragility flaw.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first gang   Just finished my first gang Icon_minitime24th September 2010, 2:48 am

I think it depends. The Guild boxes seem to be pretty stout models, but ive seen some of the others have really thin peices.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first gang   Just finished my first gang Icon_minitime24th September 2010, 7:12 am

gamewizard wrote:
I've heard a complaint that the models are a little too delicate to actually game with. They look great as models to possible use in a role playing game or to be admired from afar but for war gaming purposes they have a slight fragility flaw.

I don't recommend some of these models for first time assembler/painters, but the majority of them are solid 1-piece metals so they hold up just fine.

Some models have taxed my limited skill set by requiring joint shaving, green stuff setting, etc.

I've heard Seamus's undead gang (a fairly popular box) has some very tricky models in it, so that might be what you're hearing.

Last edited by capnwoodrow on 24th September 2010, 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Haren
Venerable Dreadnought
Venerable Dreadnought
Haren

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first gang   Just finished my first gang Icon_minitime24th September 2010, 8:11 am

Nicodem's box (the zombie punk samurai's the be exact) is a pain in the rear. Putting them together was the easy part, but getting their swords to not break how ever.... got to love thin metal. That said putting together that box made me practice green stuffing the connection points which it seems like you have to do to get the joints to look right.

The other models I own seem to be pretty good quality. I thought the sorrow from Pandora's box were going to be as bad as the swords because they go down to barely anything touching the base; however, they don't seem to be as fragile
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first gang   Just finished my first gang Icon_minitime25th September 2010, 12:56 am

Nearly every model in both Seamus' and the Victorias' box are going to have to be handled with care in play. I think given that most games aren't going to have more than a half dozen or so per side that this should be manageable.

This is a game where you really need to keep your hands off any models that don't belong to you.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first gang   Just finished my first gang Icon_minitime25th September 2010, 8:20 am

Most definitely on the Seamus box, the Vik's, however, I disagree. With the exception of Johan's right arm and base, and the Sword Vik all the models are one piece, and all of johan's pieces have good connections. The sword Vik you'll want to be careful with as her skinny little swords attach directly to her skinny little wrists. At least that's my experience with them.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first gang   Just finished my first gang Icon_minitime25th September 2010, 4:26 pm

Yeah, you're right on the Vik box, but the delicacy of the sword Vik more than makes up for the other models in the box Razz
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first gang   Just finished my first gang Icon_minitime25th September 2010, 9:53 pm

I have the Seamus box. It is bad initially, but if you pin it correctly, it is fine. All of the models in the box MUST be pinned. Just plan on it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first gang   Just finished my first gang Icon_minitime25th September 2010, 11:21 pm

So far it has been a running joke that everything is easy to put together or one solid model except for one model per box - and that one model is a beast.

They really did some odd break points on these guys - you glue hands onto models instead of arms.

I have been helping people pin them and they have held up so far. I would definitely be ready to pin at least one model per box.
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first gang   Just finished my first gang Icon_minitime26th September 2010, 1:02 am

Ramos box, other than ramos everything else sucks to put together.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first gang   Just finished my first gang Icon_minitime26th September 2010, 5:51 pm

The judge's sword arm - Lady J's Box
Nothing - Rasputina's box.

What i'm finding to be a consistent problem (nothing major) is that the metal 'slotta' is 2-3mm too long and i'm having to hack them all off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first gang   Just finished my first gang Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just finished my first gang
Page 1 of 1