Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Random Tau Thought

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

Random Tau Thought Empty
PostSubject: Random Tau Thought   Random Tau Thought Icon_minitime24th July 2010, 2:04 am

Ok so I normally take 3 squads of Crisis suits (duh) loaded out in the following ways:

- 3x suits with twinlinked missile pods and targetting array(+1 BS)
-3x suits with twinlinked missile pods and flamer
-3x suits with twinlinked missile pods and plasma rifle

I have this crazy idea that if I ran the third squad (-3x suits with twinlinked missile pods and plasma rifle) with a twinlinked plasma rifle and targetting array (+1 BS), that it would be more effective at the role it plays for me.

As of right now, I've come to realize that that squad is kind of uneffective at what its there to do: wound things with massive armor and MCs. With that new loadout, it would be 3 points more per model, but I would assure that I hit with every plasma rifle every time it fires. I would have to place them in a way where they were always 24 inches from enemy models, whereas as they are right now they hit from 36 and can hit from 24 when they get close enough. I'm taking away MAJOR shot volume, but at the same time Im making their armor kill power much better.

The one thing I keep thinking is how amazing it would be to run this agaisnt something like space wolves, where when they got close to me I could blast them with 6-12 AP 2 shots that were pretty much guarenteed to hit around 5-6 every time

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
BIg Al
Necron Pariah visiting a shrink
Necron Pariah visiting a shrink
BIg Al

Random Tau Thought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Tau Thought   Random Tau Thought Icon_minitime24th July 2010, 8:33 am

It all depends on what role you want them to fill. If you have hammerheads and broadsides (and maybe fusion piranhas) to deal with heavy armor, you be a little more flexible with your CS. From what I have read and playtested, CS fall into two camps (close and long range support). Plasma fulfill both (and cost the most consequently).

Long = Missile pods, plasma
Close = TL Flamer, plasma, or fusion (flamer is always equipped twinlinked to reroll wounds)

If you want to frag MEQ and MC and feel comfortable that you can handle heavy armor with other units, I would go with plasma and missile with multitracker. You invest in volume of fire and not quality of fire. You can always throw in a unit of pathfinders to give you that +1BS if you can't live without it. After all, you only get to take 9 of the suckers, so you might as well pack as many guns on them as you can. I always liked:

3 CS: Missile pod, Plasma, multitracker, bonded, HW drone control w/ 2 shield drones, HW Target lock
3 CS: Missile pod, Plasma, multitracker, bonded, HW drone control w/ 2 shield drones, HW target lock
3 CS: Twinlinked flamer, fusion gun, bonded, HW drone control w/ 2 shield drones, HW target lock
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

Random Tau Thought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Tau Thought   Random Tau Thought Icon_minitime24th July 2010, 2:10 pm

I find that the fireknives (plasma, MP, multi tracker) isnt worth the cost. Everyone loves them, but my deathrains (TL MP and targetting arrays) are much more effective agaisnt basicly everything. Its because you are forcing the enemy to take 6 saves at AP 4 pretty much every turn (hitting on 3s, rerolling hits, wounding on 2s).

I never twinlink my flamers because its not worth filling 2 slots on my suits. It is a last resort horde killer at best (I dont want my suits close enough to use it) and basicly just fills a slot for 3 points instead of 10.

That being said, I think there is something great about being able to consistently place 3 plasma wounds on a target a turn...I'm gonna give those TL-plasma a shot
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Random Tau Thought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Tau Thought   Random Tau Thought Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Tau Thought
Page 1 of 1