HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
big_d
Inquisitor

PostSubject: Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?   28th June 2010, 4:57 pm

I'm getting all giddy over the new Warhammer Fantasy rules. It looks like they have changed enough things to really draw in a fresh crowd. What armies is everyone looking at starting up? I already have a sizable Ogre Kingdoms list and a pretty good starting to a Skaven force, but man are Dwarves looking tasty.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dannato
Spirit Guide to Lost Souls

PostSubject: Re: Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?   28th June 2010, 5:03 pm

I've got Orcs, Vampires and debating on Empire or Chaos. I had my first game of 8th last saturday and can't wait for more!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kragg
Ork Boy without teef
Ork Boy without teef

PostSubject: Re: Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?   28th June 2010, 5:08 pm

I have a Bretonnian army that just needs a fiew pieces (and a lot of paint) and I'm eyeballing a Dwarf army pretty hard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
capnwoodrow
Interrogator

PostSubject: Re: Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?   28th June 2010, 5:54 pm

I'm in love with the Mantic Games Dwarves. I'm either going Dwarves or Chaos Dwarves (possible counts as regular dwarves).

From what my 8th ed gleanings have shown me, i'll probably be adding to my Lizzos here and there, but I won't need anything big for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought

PostSubject: Re: Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?   28th June 2010, 6:01 pm

As of right now I have Lizardmen and wood elves. I think my next list will eventually be beastmen, but I will be waiting enthusiastically for the next wood elf book...waywatchers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager

PostSubject: Re: Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?   28th June 2010, 7:42 pm

I am going to do Beastmen since I already have a good number of those. Next will probably be Empire or maybe Skaven. If Tomb Kings get some kind of boost from the rules to make them viable I will take them just for the fluff factor. Plus I have molds to make lots of Tomb King terrain with.

With the new terrain rules it looks like all the terrain making stuff I have will get a work out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://castlehousegames.com
Monkey
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet

PostSubject: Re: Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?   28th June 2010, 10:34 pm

I'm stuck. I've read several codices and still can't decide, and I've painted test models for three armies. I like the ogre models, but I strongly dislike their backstory. I have no idea what I'll wind up playing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?   28th June 2010, 11:17 pm

High Elves, I am pretty sure... for the moment, anyway.

4 - 5 ranks of spears with always strikes first is pretty appealing to me.... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thehogsofwar.com
Dannato
Spirit Guide to Lost Souls

PostSubject: Re: Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?   28th June 2010, 11:38 pm

White Lions 7 wide do it:)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?   29th June 2010, 11:49 am

So, I've looked at just about every army, and I've decided I like the look of Wood Elves. They seem like they can be very good in the shooting phase and quite quick. The Lore of Life looks vicious and can turn basic units into beasts. (BTW, this lore seems likes it's going to make High Elves with all of their wacky special rules beasts.) However, I haven't seen them given much love. What am I missing? Can they be competitive, or are they just pretty?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
big_d
Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?   29th June 2010, 12:32 pm

@Monkey

The Wood Elves used to be a super finesseful army that was hard to learn, but brutal when you got good with them. there were two or three competitive builds with them, but all that is out the window.

I have a few of the models laying around if you want to try painting them. I had actually 'started' a wood elf army but only put together and painted ten of them, so I have about six left I think. I will dig them out and try to remember to get them to you on Friday.

Also, they are pretty 'old' as far as army book goes, so they should be getting an udpat, maybe next year - I know that Ogres and Tomb Kings are in front of them, but I am not sure who else is older, maybe Bretonnia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fletch
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur

PostSubject: Re: Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?   29th June 2010, 2:52 pm

Brets are older and I believe they are the oldest one out there now. But back on topic I'm breaking my Orcs and Goblins back out they got a big boost with the new rules.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fethos
Dreadnought
Dreadnought

PostSubject: Re: Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?   29th June 2010, 4:23 pm

Monkey wrote:
So, I've looked at just about every army, and I've decided I like the look of Wood Elves. They seem like they can be very good in the shooting phase and quite quick. The Lore of Life looks vicious and can turn basic units into beasts. (BTW, this lore seems likes it's going to make High Elves with all of their wacky special rules beasts.) However, I haven't seen them given much love. What am I missing? Can they be competitive, or are they just pretty?

Can they be competitive in 7th edition? No. I haven't got a chance to play my wood elves with 8th edition rules, but with the change in the way h-t-h is done I think they can be competitive(except against daemons) for three reasons 1. They will be striking before everyone except High Elves. 2. All of their special units will be just as hard hitting as they were when the book first came out(wardancers.) 3. You can now take a larger percentage of 'special choice' troops(wardancers!) One thing I am looking forward to is fielding a forest spirit army...Now I just need to buy a hero on a great stag.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blarglord
Blind Ratling Sniper

PostSubject: Re: Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?   29th June 2010, 7:06 pm

All hail the Under Empire!!! Goin Skaven!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets

PostSubject: Re: Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?   29th June 2010, 9:38 pm

Eagerly awaiting the erratas so I can see what I need to do field my Skaven, Lizardmen or Warriors of Chaos.

Suddenly, that Chosen "Death Star" looks rather appealing. However I do want to see the erratas first.
Heck, I might even use Rat Ogres!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?   

Back to top Go down

Excitement Abounds - What Army Are You Going To Start?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Top :: Warhammer Fantasy :: General Fantasy Forum-
Jump to: