Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

foundation question

Go down 
+5
Wildeyedjester
Dannato
gamewizard
Fulminata
bdix
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

foundation question Empty
PostSubject: foundation question   foundation question Icon_minitime23rd February 2010, 6:21 pm

I recently discovered how amazing the foundain paints are. Unfortunately, I discovered this after painting up like 24 fire warriors and 8 crisis suits. Should I strip these down and start over, or would there be a way to use a foundation that resembles scorpian green?
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: foundation question   foundation question Icon_minitime24th February 2010, 2:11 am

I don't know your current painting method, and I only got a brief glance at your army at the tournament (I assume it was yours, I remember seeing some green tau), but you could try using the closest match from the foundation line as a basecoat and then applying scorpion green over it. This should allow you to get good overall coverage with fewer overall coats then trying to just paint scorpion green over your primer.

Whatever your choice as to how to paint your remaining models, I'd highly recommend finishing the rest of your army first and then going back and stripping your already painted models if you still want to. Going back and starting from scratch is a good way to get frustrated and lose motivation when you're getting started. Besides, by the time you finish the rest of the army you will have discovered more new techniques, and if you stop to strip everything and start over every time that happens you'll never get finished! (I speak from experience as someone incapable of finishing an army :-P )
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: foundation question   foundation question Icon_minitime24th February 2010, 3:37 am

haha thanks, I think Ill try that greenish foundation and see how it looks with my main colors over it
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: foundation question   foundation question Icon_minitime24th February 2010, 2:10 pm

I will be getting the Army Painter products in March and that is another avenue to look at especially when you want to start painting your vehicles. Brush painting is very hard to do for vehicles since it usually leaves unsightly brush marks.

The Army Painter system uses spray cans about the size of a household spray can and it provides both primer and base coat in one can.

Here is a link to their website. Army Painter

I am very excited about this product and am looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: foundation question   foundation question Icon_minitime24th February 2010, 11:12 pm

yeah, when i first started painting my minis I really wanted to do that red spray, but didnt want to pay for it at the time... I may look into that when I start working on my SM side project
Back to top Go down
Dannato
Spirit Guide to Lost Souls
Dannato

PostSubject: Re: foundation question   foundation question Icon_minitime25th February 2010, 12:16 am

quick shade is liquid gold.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: foundation question   foundation question Icon_minitime25th February 2010, 2:15 am

awww dont tell me that.....its so expensive, and i want to get it really bad
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: foundation question   foundation question Icon_minitime25th February 2010, 9:45 am

You can get the same results by dipping with Minwax and following up with Testors Dull Coat.

Will's entire yellow marine army is done using just this.

He details the method in a blog post here:
http://www.thehogsofwar.com/2009/09/imperial-fists-yellow-secret-sauce.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: foundation question   foundation question Icon_minitime25th February 2010, 1:42 pm

I did one of my minotaurs in Minwax. I wasn't sure if the Quickshade was formulated differently or not.
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: foundation question   foundation question Icon_minitime25th February 2010, 2:34 pm

Quickshade is different. It's a judgement call whether it's better enough to justify the cost. I have a can at home I've never used, but looking at the difference between Minwax and Quickshade, if I was going to go that route, I'd use Quickshade.
Back to top Go down
bdix
bdix

PostSubject: Re: foundation question   foundation question Icon_minitime25th February 2010, 2:41 pm

yeah that article is great, thanks...ive been using minwax, but my models have been pretty shiny
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur

PostSubject: Re: foundation question   foundation question Icon_minitime25th February 2010, 3:49 pm

just use matt vanish to get the shine away
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: foundation question   foundation question Icon_minitime25th February 2010, 4:37 pm

Tyranids would look even ickier with the gloss left on.....
Back to top Go down
RetroPengo
Chaplain and a book full of sermons
Chaplain and a book full of sermons
RetroPengo

PostSubject: Re: foundation question   foundation question Icon_minitime25th February 2010, 10:44 pm

Yeah. we were talking about how slimy they would look. I think it would be excellent if you matte'd up the carapace and left the muscly bits all gooey-looking.
Back to top Go down
Blarglord
Blind Ratling Sniper
Blarglord

PostSubject: Re: foundation question   foundation question Icon_minitime25th March 2010, 1:36 pm

Color wise to foundation. I use cheap acrylic paint (from Hobby Lobby) They make quite decent foundation paints if you thin them down a bit. As for a foundation color thats close to scorpion green. Try Americana acrylic color Sour Apple, it's pretty close and it's cheap at .97 a bottle.
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: foundation question   foundation question Icon_minitime25th March 2010, 1:48 pm

I've only ever had bad luck with Americana - it never thinned down well for me, always ended up chunky and watery.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: foundation question   foundation question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

foundation question
Page 1 of 1