Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Power Weapon vs Lightning Claw

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

Power Weapon vs Lightning Claw Empty
PostSubject: Power Weapon vs Lightning Claw   Power Weapon vs Lightning Claw Icon_minitime17th February 2010, 11:23 am

Wanting to know your opinions, after crunching the number it looks like a single PW and a single LC will (for S4 v T4) produce the same number of wounds on average. That said, is what is your view on the single LC? In general it's about 5-10 points more than the PW and, while you lose the bonus attack, you do get to reroll to wound. In general I think I'd go with the PW only because of the point value. If they were the same cost would that change your opinion?
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Power Weapon vs Lightning Claw   Power Weapon vs Lightning Claw Icon_minitime17th February 2010, 2:32 pm

A single Lightning Claw just doesn't do it for me. Where they really shine is in a unit that has a few pairs of Lightning Claws - Assault Terminators, Vanguard Veterans, or even Chaos Chosen - who get a pair for 20 points (CHEAP!). Probably the best example of a unit that would benefit from a smaller amount would be a Wolfguard joined to a unit with a Wolf Priest - they would get to re-roll to hit and to-wound.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Power Weapon vs Lightning Claw   Power Weapon vs Lightning Claw Icon_minitime17th February 2010, 8:23 pm

I agree.

Powersword: keep your extra attack for weapon and pistol. No armor Save. No advantage to wounding. Mad
One claw: Lose an attack. No armor save. Reroll to wound. About balances out w/ sword. pale
Powerfist: Winner unless you are going with two claws. Double str ability to instant kill enemies, ability to injure carnifexes, wraithlords and trygons. No armor Saves. Ability to wreck vehicles and drednoughts. Dont take a marine squad without one. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Power Weapon vs Lightning Claw   Power Weapon vs Lightning Claw Icon_minitime17th February 2010, 10:52 pm

big_d wrote:
Probably the best example of a unit that would benefit from a smaller amount would be a Wolfguard joined to a unit with a Wolf Priest - they would get to re-roll to hit and to-wound.

For generic Space Marines: Doesn't the Terminator Chaplain do the same thing when attached to an Assault Terminator unit?

I hope so, GW website led me to believe that so I bought one.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
BIg Al
Necron Pariah visiting a shrink
Necron Pariah visiting a shrink
BIg Al

PostSubject: Re: Power Weapon vs Lightning Claw   Power Weapon vs Lightning Claw Icon_minitime18th February 2010, 7:35 am

SM Chap does allow a reroll to hit on the charge. As someone who is usually on the receiving end of such weapons, I have more concern over power fists than LC or PW. If IN isn't a factor in your decision, swing with the big stick. It increases the versatility and threat factor of your unit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Weapon vs Lightning Claw   Power Weapon vs Lightning Claw Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Power Weapon vs Lightning Claw
Page 1 of 1