Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) Empty
PostSubject: The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms)   The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) Icon_minitime29th January 2013, 3:47 pm

With the tournament over it's time to see what's next. I currently have a literal buttload of Ogres, so how to do it? Something Hinge said in his MSU thread made me curious about the viability of an Ogre MSU list. Looking over the book I noticed that Ogres are actually much cheaper per unit than I expected. So armed with about 90 Ogre bodies, a battalion box overflowing with bits. And a few other goodies I got to work.

Each 6 pack of bulls with Ironfists weighs in at 217 points, the Ironguts are admittedly a bit more expensive at 427, but that's with a Magic Banner and 3 more Ogres. It was pretty obvious I could put together a pretty solid list with multiple drops and a good all around versatility.

-----------------------

2500 pts, 59 models, 11 units, 3 characters.

Slaughtermaster (Great Weapon, Level 4, General)
+ Lore of the Heavens
■ Talisman of Preservation
■ Ironcurse Icon

Bruiser (Great Weapon, Heavy Armor, Battle Standard Bearer)
+ Lookout Gnoblar
■ Rune Maw

Butcher (Ironfist, Level 1)
+ Lore of the Great Maw
■ Dispel Scroll

9 Ironguts (Mus, Std)
+ Lookout Gnoblar
■ Standard of Discipline
*Characters go in this unit 4x3 formation...*

6 Ogres (Ironfists, Mus, Std)
+ Lookout Gnoblar

6 Ogres (Ironfists, Mus, Std)
+ Lookout Gnoblar

10 Gnoblars (Trappers)

10 Gnoblars (Trappers)

4 Leadbelchers

4 Leadbelchers

2 Ogre Mournfang Cavalry (Ironfists, Heavy Armor, Mus)

2 Ogre Mournfang Cavalry (Ironfists, Heavy Armor, Mus)

Sabretusk

Sabretusk

Ironblaster

-----------------------

Much like with Warriors, this army is about multi charges and redirection. But there's some excellent fire support from the Ironblaster and the Leadbelchers. Considering all of the Ogres are basically fast moving Chariots that can march, yeah this is going to be fun.

As for painting/conversions. I've got some fluff in mind, I'm thinking these are Ogres that felt the call during the great migration and ventured to the edge of the Chaos Wastes. Since then they've formed an Alliance with the various denizens of the wastes, including the Chaos Dwarfs (I'm doing Chaos Dwarf themed Maneater Snipers, and probably some Spawn Gorgers, etc).

As the tribe has yet to devote themselves to any patron, they say they hear the dark whispers of four distinct voices upon the winds. It is from these voices that the tribe takes it's name.

I'll be updating this thread and the picture below as I make progress. Also, I'll be putting together an indicator of the progress I've made on the army like I did working up my Warriors for Shiloh.

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 000

With such a low model count per unit, I'll be making custom bases for every model in the army with the exception of the Gnoblars who will be on pretty standard sanded bases. I'll be scratch building/sculpting the Sabretusks myself since I'm not too happy with the ones GW has. After I've finished this base army, I'll be working on individual units here and there. Just as I'm doing with my Warriors. As usual, you can click images for fullsize pics and if you have questions, comments, or criticisms don't hesitate. Thanks for reading.
Back to top Go down
http://srsbusiness.org
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms)   The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) Icon_minitime7th February 2013, 4:08 pm

My first Maneater, they're snipers that I'm giving a bit of a Chaos Dwarf look. I'm using shoulder pads and shields from the Chaos Marauders with no small amount of green stuff work. These will take a while to finish, but I think it will be worth it when they're done.

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 001

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 002

Here's a quick shot of the hurt locker, I picked this thing up for $8 at a Christmas sale at a local hardware store. I wish I'd picked up a couple more now. I've since changed the labels to accomodate the bulk of bits, seriously so many bits...

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 003

Here's what's assembled so far, MikeyC had already started painting one Mournfang but I'll be starting them all from primer to get a good consisten paint job across the unit. I've also got 4 Leadbelchers and the start of a Bulls unit here. Anxious to get to work on the rest...

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 004

The first thing I really want to work on for my tribe is the Stonehorn/Thundertusk kit. I've been in love with this thing from the moment I laid eyes on the Stonehorn, it is such a fantastic looking sculpt. First thing though, he needs an appropriately detailed base. For this, I glued Pine Bark Chips to the base, with those in place I added Standard Yellow/Grey Milliput around the bark to build up the terrain a bit, this will give me a solid base to work on, and when I later go back with sand and other details it will look more natural. It also helps to beef up the Pine Bark and keep it from going anywhere.

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 005

I'm pinning the feet of the Stonehorn to the base so I can paint both separately and make a solid connection later, I'm doing the same with the rider and a few other things I'll be adding (the cow is from the giant sprue, and part of the supplies being carried on his back). I'm using the Thundertusk back piece that allows for two saddles, in the back position I'm scratch building a small wooden weapons platform for a group of Gnoblars that will be manning a Harpoon Launcher. This will also provide a good spot to hang some of the spoils of war.

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 006

The head of the Stonehorn will be painted separately, as well as the head of the Thundetusk (not shown). I've magnetized these so I can switch between games as needed, either playing Stonehorn/Ironblaster or Double Tusk, or as I like to call it the Fleetwood Mac list...

That's it for now, I'll have more coming soon!
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms)   The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) Icon_minitime7th February 2013, 4:16 pm

The taint is strong with these three, my BSB, Slaughtermaster, and Butcher. A little bit of GS work left then they'll be ready to paint. I've had to sculpt these in layers, and I'm quite happy with how they're turning out.

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 007

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 008

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 009

Here's a rather bad shot of the Battle Standard (Rune Maw). There's a Chaos Star in the center from the Warriors sprue, and the Maw itself is taken from the Thundertusk model.

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 010

I may be adding some more bits, I do have an empire soldier on a hook and some more meat and spikes and things I could add. Test model will be painted very soon, probably this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms)   The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) Icon_minitime8th February 2013, 3:03 pm

I got the unit of Ironguts assembled, this weekend I'll get the GS work done on them and a few chaotic bits added.

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 011

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 012

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 013

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 014

Next the two units of Bulls and the Leadbelchers, I've decided to just get everything assembled and based before I start painting. The army should come together pretty quickly now.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms)   The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) Icon_minitime10th February 2013, 8:38 pm

My mother in law has been visiting all weekend, literally I woke up Saturday and at nearly 7pm Sunday she's still here. On the upside, I got some work done on the Ogres!

I've actually now assembled all of the ogres on foot, all that's left is the Sabretusks (now that I've chosen the models, that will be pretty quick), the Ironblaster, and the 4 Mournfangs. I'm going to magnetize the riders since I actually have some extras so I can swap them for command units, etc. But I'll be working on 2 units with Musicians for now.

Here's some shots of the stuff I've been working on.

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 015

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 016

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 017

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 018

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 019

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 020

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 021

I'll finish GS work and mutations on these this week, and start working on the remaining units. I've also started brainstorming a bit for the display board, so updates should be coming fast now.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms)   The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) Icon_minitime12th February 2013, 3:01 pm

I magnetized the riders for my Mournfangs, makes them easier to paint and a bit easier to transport. But more importantly, it means I can change options (command, etc) much easier.

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 022

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 023

I did the bases the same way I did the base for the Stonehorn, pine bark chips and Standard Milliput. I'll be adding sand and small stones to the milliput areas before I hit them with primer and paint. 2 more Mournfangs to go, and the Ironblaster, then I'll be ready for paint.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms)   The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) Icon_minitime14th February 2013, 3:22 pm

I'm about to cast some bits I need (tentacles and spikes basically) to up the taint of chaos quotient on some of the "veteran" models in the army. The idea is that the longest standing members of the tribe are the most mutated, as the touch of the wastes corrupts them further. My tyrant will be particularly weird, but that's going to be for later. I'm also seriously considering using either Dark Eldar Khymera or hand sculpting the Sabretusks, I'm just not a fan of the GW versions and they don't really fit the whole Chaotic vibe I'm going for. I've already started writing some fluff to go along with the army, since all of my armies are tied into the same theme/story it's coming along pretty quickly. Anyhow, I got a little accomplished today - here's the start of the last two Mournfangs. I included pics of the bases as I worked them up for reference, some people have been asking how specifically I make these big rocky bases. Unfortunately I need more milliput now to finish the base for the Ironblaster, but I'm nearing the point of getting paint on these guys.

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 024

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 025

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 026

Hope you enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms)   The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) Icon_minitime22nd February 2013, 2:27 pm

Allow me to introduce my test Ogre, Tommy. I got the bases started on this unit, and decided to prime them today. Tommy is the first to get a coat of paint, I wanted to get my flesh sorted out before I started the painting en masse. I included some pics of the flesh being built up in stages for reference.

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 027

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 028

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 029

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 030

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 031

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 032

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 033

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 034

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 035

The flesh starts with a basecoat of GW Doombull Brown
I followed this up with a generous drybrush of P3 Khardic Flesh
Then, I washed with Army Painter Strong Tone.
Followed by a very light drybrush/highlight of P3 Midlund Flesh

For the mutant crab claw I did a basecoat with P3 Midlund Flesh, followed by a drybrush of Vallejo Heavy Warmgrey. I then washed it liberally with Secret Weapon Amethyst. I hit a light drybrush/highlight with Vallejo White and then added a thin coat of Vallejo Fluo Magenta. This is an Airbrush paint that's REALLY thin, it really pops on a white basecoat but also reacts well when coating over other colors. So having this layered color build up gives a nice effect with the fluo. I then washed the whole of the claw with Secret Weapon Drying Blood. I'll add some Tamaya Red later when I start adding Gore to all of the Ogres at once.

It sounds a lot harder than it actually is, the flesh in particular went really quickly. I should have this first unit of bulls finished over the weekend. Let me know what you think...
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms)   The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) Icon_minitime22nd February 2013, 2:29 pm

Here's a couple of close ups.

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 036

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 037

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms)   The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) Icon_minitime25th February 2013, 11:45 am

Thanks guys, I finished the test ogre this morning. The pics are a bit dark so I'll get some better ones a bit later when I have more time. But this gives you a good idea of the direction I'm going. Each unit has a different theme, this unit of Bulls is Slaanesh themed. Whereas the other unit of bulls is Nurgle themed.

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 038

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 039

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 040

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 041

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 042

More coming soon...
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms)   The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) Icon_minitime25th February 2013, 3:01 pm

Here's some better pics of the test ogre.

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 043

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 044

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 045

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) 046
Back to top Go down
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

PostSubject: Re: The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms)   The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) Icon_minitime25th February 2013, 3:31 pm

I love the green on the armor.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms)   The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) Icon_minitime25th February 2013, 4:02 pm

Thanks, it's actually pretty easy to do. I use Vallejo Verdigris mixed with a little Dark Angels Green, I get some of it on my brush then dip the brush in a water pot. Brush it into the crevasses and wipe excess away with a moist towel or cotton swab. That leaves the excess in the deeper areas, but exposes the metal on raised areas. If you want to try it, I'd recommend practicing on some gut plates first.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms)   The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Tribe of the Four Winds (Ogre Kingdoms)
Page 1 of 1