Share | 

Need Some Advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Need Some Advice   6th August 2012, 12:47 pm

I've been thinking about getting an Air Brush, Jester and big_d have pretty much convinced me (thanks you two). Now, I'm deciding on one factor. I've decided I definitely want to transition from GW paints to Vallejo, and I've already grabbed a couple. I'm thinking I might finish my transition to the Vallejo paints first, then get the Air Brush (because I don't have the cash to do both simultaneously). What do you guys think? Some of my GW paints are a bit old, and I don't want to ruin a new tool using crappy paint. It seems like getting new paint first would just make the whole thing a lot easier. So, I wondered if anyone else had an opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://srsbusiness.org
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Advice   6th August 2012, 2:48 pm

I have a very nice air brush and run both Vallejo and GW through it. Neither of them will run well in it when you first start, so just be prepared to clog
It up and keep trying to make the mixture right. You have to mix it with either water or water/windex(what I do). So to answer your question, I'd get the airbrush so you can get your paint wasting days out f the way with old paint.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Haren
Venerable Dreadnought
Venerable Dreadnought

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Advice   6th August 2012, 7:36 pm

At first experiment with a dual action syphon feed from harbor freight. Their solid entry level airbrushes that will get you started. From there when you are looking to upgrade look at a Pasche or a Badger gravity feed. Most model painters prefer gravity over syphon feed for the simple fact that you can blend in the cup as your spraying.

Your air source is also an investment worth considering. Don't bother with the compressed air cans that they sell. They typically don't have much life once you put the reg on them. I'd look at ether a 5 gallon project compressor or a air brush compressor that is can output a minimum of 10 lbs when you push the trigger. The first air brush compressor would do an inital push of 15 lbs, but once the trigger was pushed it dropped to 5 lbs. This made for inconsistant painting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Advice   20th August 2012, 9:13 am

A bit old, but I thought I'd lay out my response. First, thanks for the feedback.

I used my first airbrush at the age of 12 (20 years ago), I've used them off and on since then. Most of the work I've done has been T Shirts and murals, I don't anticipate any real challenges moving to model making as most of what I'll be using it for is large area painting and lighting effects/gradients. I'll still be using traditional brushes often.

I've decided on this one (thanks again big_d for the advice).
http://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-Depot-Performance-Multi-Purpose-Dual-Action/dp/B001TO578Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1344218067&sr=8-3&keywords=airbrush+depot

I have also decided to continue with my transition to the Vallejo paints before picking it up for two reasons. First, because some of my GW paints that I really need for my army are in bad shape, they're clumping and separating, etc to the point of being nearly unusable. The move was not kind to my stash of Dheneb Stone in particular.

Secondly, since I've simplified the palette I'm using for my WOC army I don't need nearly as many paints off the bat to get moving with the project. I will only need a couple of extra colors when I move on to my CSM, and by then I'll have the brush and be in fairly decent working order anyway.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Advice   18th September 2012, 11:59 am

Got it!

Back to top Go down
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Advice   19th September 2012, 7:44 pm

Khaas,

The world is not ready for you with an airbrush. It's like two unstoppable forces colliding.

Airbrush + the way you already pound out models = black hole

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Advice   19th September 2012, 7:47 pm

LOL thanks bdix.

Worse thing is, I've been using an airbrush since I was in the 5th grade (I'll be 33 in November). So, I don't think I'm going to have the learning phase to deal with too much. This month I'll be getting the last models for my Shiloh list together and painted, the airbrush is definitely going to play a part in that and the stuff I've got planned afterward.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Advice   

Back to top Go down

Need Some Advice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1