Share | 

Drop Zone Commander

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Haren
Venerable Dreadnought
Venerable Dreadnought

PostSubject: Drop Zone Commander   5th June 2012, 11:10 am

I'm fairly sure that I'm the only person who's interested in army scale games. Be it Epic, Warmaster, or even FOW. Recently Hawk Wargames was at Salute showing off their still in development army scale game, Drop Zone Commander. The way that this game appears to be differentiating itself from the before mentioned ASG, is that game's models are truly the same scale. FOW and Epic have issues with their infantry being to big to fit in the vehicles (well 40k does as well actually). The way that Hawk appears to be fixing this discrepancy is that the vehicles are larger. Not only that, but they actually fit together. Say that a drop ship says in the rules it can carry 2 walkers, well the model can as well. Say that a Ship can carry 4 tanks.

The game is set to launch in July and have 4 factions on launch. It appears they will be having pre-orders this month, which I will probably pre-order the rules to have a look though them.

For more info check their site at http://www.hawkwargames.com/ or their facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hawk-Wargames/

*Note, I'll probably be doing a larger post on the blog when more information comes out (like rules previews and videos.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
big_d
Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: Drop Zone Commander   5th June 2012, 4:32 pm

I have been seeing a lot about this. The models look good for the scale but it will be the rules that make or break it.

What has been confusing me is whether or not it is a spaceship game (BFG, Firestorm Armada) or a large scale ground/air/troop combat (Epic, Dystopain Wars.) Those two genres aren't quite as full as the skirmish size games (Infinity, Warmahordes, Malifaux) or as dominated as the role that 40k/Fantasy fills, but I just don't know if it is 'needed.' If the rules aren't just amazing I don't think it will catch on.

It does have a lot of press going for it though, and GW doesn't give any love to BFG and Firestorm Armada is plagued with no models/slow model releases so if they are on the ball they could have some success.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Haren
Venerable Dreadnought
Venerable Dreadnought

PostSubject: Re: Drop Zone Commander   5th June 2012, 5:32 pm

being that it's 10mm and some of the displays they had at salute i'd say it's going to be large scale army combat. It's focus is ground combat with infantry and tanks, but it does have flyers and large drop ships. BOW got a chance to talk with one of the devs for the game and he kinda talked about how they system is going to work. It sounds a little like the alternating turn system from spartan games, but instead of after each unit, it's after each group (say a drop ship, tanks, and infantry in the ship.) He said that they exepect the average game to be an hour to hour and a half.

Here's the interview and view of the models to get a sense of scale:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNO_UIb3gdw

We'll know in about a month what it's going to be like for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DreadArchon
Necron Pariah visiting a shrink
Necron Pariah visiting a shrink

PostSubject: Re: Drop Zone Commander   10th June 2012, 10:25 am

Warstore has their preorders up.

Starter army is $94 with rulebook costing $25. This is cheaper than I had anticipated
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets

PostSubject: Re: Drop Zone Commander   20th June 2012, 8:46 pm

No, you aren't the only one with interest in this scale of game. But since no one else was interested, I sold my Epic stuff. Just a little late on the interest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle

PostSubject: Re: Drop Zone Commander   20th June 2012, 9:23 pm

I'm interested. If two or more pick it up, I'd consider it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
capnwoodrow
Interrogator

PostSubject: Re: Drop Zone Commander   20th June 2012, 10:57 pm

I always heard great things about epic.

Maybe it'll be a nice 40k breather game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drop Zone Commander   

Back to top Go down

Drop Zone Commander
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1