Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Haren
Venerable Dreadnought
Venerable Dreadnought
Haren

Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Empty
PostSubject: Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers   Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Icon_minitime1st June 2012, 11:00 am

I know Jester and I have discussed these in the past, but since I am likely to get a few in a couple of months I figured I'd share these with the group.

http://www.back2base-ix.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=105

These are a fully modular Hobby organizer and staging kit for your paints, brushes, tools, and even basing stuff. Since their release a few months ago Back2base-ix has added in a few new modules to the system (a longer straight, a basing hopper, and a drawer for bits/basing jars) and keep the interest in their system up. The system can be a little pricey at 25-39 dollars US for one section in laser cut MDF, to 30-54 bucks for laser cut acrylic. I'll be ordering and doing a full review of these in august/september for the blog.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers   Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Icon_minitime1st June 2012, 11:18 am

Oh wow, thanks for posting this. Just what I need in my new work shop.
Back to top Go down
http://srsbusiness.org
sirhelnor
Red Space Marine Plasma Donor
sirhelnor

PostSubject: Re: Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers   Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Icon_minitime1st June 2012, 1:58 pm

i may or may not attempt a bootleg of some of these modules if i get a free moment this summer...
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers   Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Icon_minitime3rd June 2012, 6:12 pm

Okay, damn but shipping is a pain on these. I was going to get the All Paint Rack (straight piece) and Tool Rack in MDF. Which comes up to $58.09, after shipping it's $93.87. I'd like to get several of their rack pieces, but at that price I'll have to wait and buy everything I want at once or get eaten alive by shipping.
Back to top Go down
Haren
Venerable Dreadnought
Venerable Dreadnought
Haren

PostSubject: Re: Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers   Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Icon_minitime3rd June 2012, 6:18 pm

yea shipping to and from the AU is kinda high. Just checked their store finder list and we have a shop in the us that sells their stuff

Grand Adventure Comics
803 Thompson Lane
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

Their site is http://www.grandadventurescomics.com/index.php/about

I'd say give them a call and see how much it would be though them.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers   Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Icon_minitime3rd June 2012, 6:22 pm

You sir, are a prince.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers   Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Icon_minitime4th June 2012, 5:13 pm

I dropped them an email, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers   Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Icon_minitime5th June 2012, 3:43 pm

Okay, just got off the phone with Chris. Said he had no problem ordering/shipping to me. It'd be a ton cheaper than just ordering directly from Australia lol. So, yeah if you're looking into getting some of these that's the route I would go.

I decided to grab 2
The Paint Rack: Straight Section

Which will give me room for 83 pots of paint on my desk, I was going to get the small tool piece as well but decided to just stick with these instead. I'll see how much room I have for other crap afterward. So, the new workshop should be looking sharp by the end of the summer.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers   Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Icon_minitime7th June 2012, 12:15 am

After I spoke to Chris I had some reservations, and decided to think about some alternatives. There are several key problems with these. I'm going to compare using the Straight Section Rack as a baseline.

It's dimensions are 13.36 x 7.87 x 6.50 inches. It holds up to 45 GW and 53 Vallejo Paints. It costs $29.95, shipping is $20.45 (minimum). After speaking to Chris, I realized summer could be over by the time I had my racks in hand. They look like fine products, no doubt about it. But, there has to be a better way.

My solution was to try something a little different, spice racks. More specifically the Copco Non-Skid 3-Tier Cabinet Organizer.

It's dimensions are 15 x 8.75 x 3.50 (it's only three tiers whereas the Back 2 Base-ix rack is 5). This organizer has no pre cut slots for bottles to fit in, instead it uses a non skid surface - so pot capacity is uncertain at this time but should be 33 or more. It costs $8.44, meaning for the price of one of the other racks you can get 3 of these organizers shipped and still have enough for a pot of paint or two.

There are multiple different organizers like this available on Amazon, even modular ones with circular end pieces like the Back 2 Base-ix ones. An office desk organizer is another solution to consider for holding brushes and specialty items like basing materials and green stuff, these too can be as modest or elaborate as you like.

In short, the Back 2 Base-ix racks look really nice, I'm sure they do the job admirably as well. But, I also feel they're a bit like GW spray primer - an overpriced "specialty" product that tries to get you to pay multiple times more money than you would for a comparable product elsewhere. More over, the alternatives are readily available without exorbitant shipping expenses, go betweens, etc. Hell, you can probably find something at Target that would get the job done at a fraction of the cost and hassle.

With the money I saved, I bought a new desk lamp a new desk for doing my model work. And some shelf paper to repair the desk I've been using. And I still have cash left over...
Back to top Go down
Haren
Venerable Dreadnought
Venerable Dreadnought
Haren

PostSubject: Re: Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers   Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Icon_minitime7th June 2012, 2:29 am

I can see where your coming from. It is a tad bit on the expensive side. However unlike the GW primer, your always going to be able to use the organizers (or atleast till you cant fit the paint pots in the holes any more because GW, P3, Velejo, and reaper change their pots.) It isn't going to be something you have to keep buying more of past your initial order or two.

That said, it comes down to personal preference as to what will work better for you. If the Copco works for what you need it to do, then it's what works best for you. I'm currently using a system similar to that and it doesn't work for me. I am going to give this company a shot to see if their system will fit my needs better. If it doesn't then on to plan D and build my own system that will fit my needs.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers   Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Icon_minitime7th June 2012, 6:56 am

Understandable Haren, and that makes plenty of sense honestly. I thought about putting my own together, but without a drill press I just don't feel comfortable doing it. Materials wouldn't be very expensive, I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday and saw some pre cut boards that would be perfect for a project like this. Grab some spacers, nuts, and some bolts from the hardware store and an appropriately sized hole cutter and you'd be in business. For me, the Aussies solution equates to too much money and too many hoops to jump through for something I feel I can get elsewhere, cheaper and easier.

I don't blame you a bit though, if I had the cash and that patience to throw at this I would. Those racks look great.
Back to top Go down
sirhelnor
sirhelnor

PostSubject: Re: Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers   Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Icon_minitime7th June 2012, 10:23 am

if you did each piece in autoCAD it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to lasercut everything out the same way they did, i just don't have the time to get any sort of file together myself with all the moving and job hunting i've been doing lately
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers   Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Icon_minitime7th June 2012, 2:13 pm

And Sirhelnor, if you do decide to put some together let me know for sure. I'd be glad to pay for some home grown racks...

I decided to have a look at the Gravette Hardware store and found what I was looking for. I bought 3 of these organizers.

Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Paintracks

The table I'll be using at the house is quite a bit wider so I'll easily fit all three. Also pictured is the Architect Lamp I picked up, I got the table and the lamp at a Yard Sale for $20 and all three of the organizers for a whopping... $10.

Most of my stuff is packed away already, but I had a Sterilite box with some of my paints and crap in it so I checked it out, each organizer can comfortably hold 30 pots of GW paint (which gives me room for 90 pots). Additionally, since there are no pre cut grooves I can also easily accommodate things like water pots, glues, etc.

So, I'm a happy camper - I found a dirt cheap solution that works for me. Some day when I can afford a FW Bloodthirster, I'll get something more robust. But for now, this should do just fine.
Back to top Go down
Khaas
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince
Khaas

PostSubject: Re: Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers   Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Icon_minitime20th October 2012, 11:11 am

I found an alternative a couple of people have suggested to me, it's out of Poland so similarly shipping is a beast but I've also seen a lot of people who's work I admire using their gear. Here's their paint stand.

Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Large-paint-stand-paint-racks-racks

http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/23-large-paint-stand-paint-racks-racks.html

Holds 111 Vallejo bottles or 81 GW bottles.

24" x 9" x 6"

$15.51 for the rack itself, shipping is annoying though ($30.07) this option still ends up cheaper than the Back 2 Base-IX version though. Since their large rack only holds 55 pots of paint. The advantage being that you can get different variations on the racks and make it fit and look nice on your work surface. So... Yeah I guess it just depends on what you need. I may end up putting a Base-Ix rack together to go between the two tables I'm using in my office, but we'll see. I've gotta find a way to store more paint on one side of the table so I've got more room for tools and things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers   Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back 2 Base-ix Hobby organizers
Page 1 of 1