Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Drop Pod Fury

Go down 
+5
Itkovian
Fulminata
Monkey
Wildeyedjester
big_d
9 posters
AuthorMessage
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

Drop Pod Fury Empty
PostSubject: Drop Pod Fury   Drop Pod Fury Icon_minitime2nd September 2009, 10:25 pm

I tried putting together a drop pod tonight. Anyone got any tips on these things cuz I sure do need em?

I had decided to make it where the doors would open and close and ran into a bunch of problems. The doors werent all on there just so so they would rub the side of the posts. Also they didn't shut all the way.

I decided to soldier on and was out in the garage doing some work on it and I accidently threw it against the wall (yeah, I know) and it exploded. Every freaking piece came undone. So now it is sitting in pieces on my work bench and I am just going to glue the doors shut on this one and put it in the back where it won't draw much attention.

At this point it is looking like I am just going to glue the doors shut on the rest of them. I know this will cause a few issues when playing but I am not that worried about it - I will just play it like they are transparent and anything shooting through them will get a 4+. Shouldn't be too much of an issue I don't think.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

Drop Pod Fury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod Fury   Drop Pod Fury Icon_minitime2nd September 2009, 10:51 pm

How the hell did you accidentally throw it against the wall?

I don't have any tips for you....I just want more details.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
Monkey
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Monkey

Drop Pod Fury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod Fury   Drop Pod Fury Icon_minitime2nd September 2009, 11:32 pm

You might try putting small magnets on the contact points where the doors touch the main body.
Also, I love the concept of "accidentally" throwing it against the wall. Now, if you "accidentally" hit it with your car I could believe that because there's a precedent.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

Drop Pod Fury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod Fury   Drop Pod Fury Icon_minitime3rd September 2009, 7:25 am

Never built one, but I know from reading online, and my experience with other recent GW models, that the first step is to take the instructions that came with them, examine them closely, laugh, and throw them away. Then go google for some instructions that actually work. Seriously, they have you putting some stuff in the wrong way. Not sure if that would help with your door issue, but it couldn't hurt.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
Itkovian
Blind Ratling Sniper
Itkovian

Drop Pod Fury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod Fury   Drop Pod Fury Icon_minitime3rd September 2009, 7:36 am

I intend to model min with the doors closed - and use the gubbins from the inside for other projects. I may end up mounting the weapon on top. Either that, or model one on each door with a fixed firing arc (magnetised for easy switching out) then add iris-style hatches at the bottom of the doors...
Back to top Go down
http://itkovian.blogspot.com
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

Drop Pod Fury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod Fury   Drop Pod Fury Icon_minitime3rd September 2009, 9:47 am

I had the same problem as you (minus the wall meeting) I eventually just did the best I could get and how I get around people not noticing is on my display board the doors that don't shut all the way are open so it appears the people are getting out I would say about half of all my doors work the other ones are misaligned or will only shut 90% of the way and what not. Sorry I couldn't help but your not alone.
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

Drop Pod Fury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod Fury   Drop Pod Fury Icon_minitime3rd September 2009, 9:54 am

Well that makes me feel better. I just might have a go at not gluing them shut. I will have to see how it turns out.

It 'accidentally' flew into the wall when I was trying to shake some wood varnish off of it it - I have been experimenting around with dipping some models and decided to try it out on a drop pod. My kung-fu grip was not strong enough and it flew out of my hand and into the wall. It seriously landed in a pile of pieces in the corner - every freaking park came undone.
Back to top Go down
DerangedFerret
Squat with the Squats
Squat with the Squats
DerangedFerret

Location : Crouching in a hole with a lasgun in Sulphur Springs AR

Drop Pod Fury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod Fury   Drop Pod Fury Icon_minitime3rd September 2009, 7:06 pm

I don't know of any kung-fu techniques that deal with maintaining a death-grip on a delicate plastic model that is being vigorously shaken, so that might have been your problem.

And although I don't know any of the rules for space marines, don't the doors open as soon as the thing hits the ground for all intents and purposes? if the doors weren't closeable or even weren't attached, I doubt it would be much of a game problem if you simply had to arrange the doors around the base of the model after the thing lands. That's how it's going to stay the rest of the game anyway I'd imagine.
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur
Lesser Daemon with visions of grandeur

Drop Pod Fury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod Fury   Drop Pod Fury Icon_minitime3rd September 2009, 10:28 pm

the instructions are wrong on the drop pod if i remember right here is the one they posted online http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=400028&pIndex=0&aId=9600035&start=1
Back to top Go down
Schnitzel
Grot Squig Herder

Drop Pod Fury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod Fury   Drop Pod Fury Icon_minitime4th September 2009, 1:26 am

Having put together two so far and a third with the fins upside down as a DreadClaw, I definately feel your pain.
I've yet to master the art of putting the drop pod together properly, and honestly, I don't think I ever will. I'm too impatient.
One thing to make sure of is that you file or trim the bottoms of the doors so that they will close all the way. That continues to be a problem whenever I make mine.
The biggest problem has always been the top bit where all the fins come together. I always strugle to get them flush and connected strong. And then when I get them glued nice and proper, they don't want to line up with the floor bit proper! Bah!

And yes, the GW instructions that came with it are garbage.
Back to top Go down
DerangedFerret
Squat with the Squats
Squat with the Squats
DerangedFerret

Location : Crouching in a hole with a lasgun in Sulphur Springs AR

Drop Pod Fury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod Fury   Drop Pod Fury Icon_minitime4th September 2009, 3:19 am

Botched instruction booklets on a piece of plastic that is THAT expensive?

Drop Pod Fury 63331710
Drop Pod Fury Beaver10
Drop Pod Fury Fail-o10
Drop Pod Fury Donald11
Drop Pod Fury Epic_f10

I could simply have said something, but a picture really is worth a thousand words. Nice one GW.... nice one...
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

Drop Pod Fury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod Fury   Drop Pod Fury Icon_minitime4th September 2009, 8:42 am

What's truly sad is that it's believed GW was sitting on the plastic drop pod for over a year before releasing it, so they had plenty of time to proof the directions, but didn't. They've also continued to make errors in the directions since then. I know that the directions for the quad gun in the defense line box have the barrels on upside down.

A lot of complaints that people have with GW come down to disagreeing with their business practices, but their apparent inability to produce accurate instructions for their model kits is really inexcusable.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

Drop Pod Fury Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod Fury   Drop Pod Fury Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drop Pod Fury
Page 1 of 1