Share | 

Need tactical advice

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Darkhorse
Red Space Marine Plasma Donor

PostSubject: Need tactical advice   14th September 2011, 2:55 pm

Rock Wars is this weekend and I am looking for some advice on tactics vs some armies that I have little to no experience with: Tombkings, Daemons, and Dwarves. I am running a straight forward WOC army consisting 3x24 units of warriors and a unit of chosen. Any advice?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets

PostSubject: Re: Need tactical advice   14th September 2011, 4:16 pm

Taking some Dwarves up to TSE tomorrow. Not sure what time I get off work, should be there by 3:30.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ares
T-Shirt Explosion Owner

PostSubject: Re: Need tactical advice   14th September 2011, 4:27 pm

Tomb Kings, kill the heirophant, army crumbles. Cannot stand up to you in hand to hand combat. Get across the board quickly and kill, kill, kill.

Dwarfs - Depends on the build, but will probably hamper your magic phase and will shoot you to pieces. You must close quickly, but make sure to choose battles wisely. They have good leadership and a lot of combat bonus items. Beware of the scouting dwarf units as they can hit you in the flank where you are most vulnerable.

Deamons, Here again it depends on the build. Bloodletters have killing blow which can be no fun for WOC, but you have multiple attacks against T3 guys who only have a 5+ WS. Blood thirster is nasty so is the chicken. Will definitely be throwing spells your way. Flamers are brutal, but I don't know that you have anything in your army to effectively deal with them unless your opponnent makes a mistake. Do not underestimate flesh hounds or heralds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tshirtexplosion.com
RockWars
Flashlight toting Guardsman

PostSubject: Re: Need tactical advice   14th September 2011, 5:00 pm

I assume you have your warriors marked Khorne with halberds. If not it is still basically the same tactics.

As Ares said, run across the field and engage as quickly as possible, but only do so with 2 on 1 units, unless your warriors have the overwhelming advantage. I can't imagine much standing up to a unit of Warriors and Chosen.

The TK actually will hold better than you think if they have a character in the unit giving them WS5, their archers will hurt as will the casket, but over all there will be tons of stuff to kill. Make sure you have as many units as possible in combat to up your combat rez and their units should crumble quickly.

Dwarves: Well just pray you can engage them favorably and without too much damage to your units. S5 grudge throwers will hurt badly, as will the cannons and organ gun. Not to mention those GW's swinging back. Just engage and have more ranks so they aren't steadfast.

Daemons: Well, once again just engage as favorable as possible, and if you have a tzeench wizard cast gateway and pray you vaporize units.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkhorse

PostSubject: Re: Need tactical advice   14th September 2011, 5:08 pm

Thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkhorse

PostSubject: Re: Need tactical advice   14th September 2011, 5:12 pm

Are the TC the same as the VC in the sense that when they lose combat, they take wounds?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets

PostSubject: Re: Need tactical advice   14th September 2011, 5:26 pm

After reading through the Dwarf book, I would be afraid of the big unit with the Lord on the Oathstone. He can drop the stone in response to a "hold" charge reaction and the unit no longer has flanks, cannot be disrupted and can also make supporting attacks in any direction. And they get the parry save if armed appropriately.

The only plus to this that no other characters can be in the unit with the "stonebearer". So the "you have to charge me or flee" rune won't be in the same unit.

If you get stuck in with this unit, provided the dwarf player has other unit support, things could go bad for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
capnwoodrow
Interrogator

PostSubject: Re: Need tactical advice   14th September 2011, 6:07 pm

What I do versus:

Dwarves: their armor is as good as yours, they all have great weapons. Also, they have warmachines that aren't awful. It's a tough match, for sure. Aim for flanks, double charge blocks to maximize output, and remember they have the same weaknesses you will. They also lack ward saves, so try and stack your matchups in your favor.
-If you see someone drop a cannon in each corner, a big unit in the middle, and then say, "I've got a big unit of scouts with a character in it.." then they are running the new internet dwarf hotness list and hoping to make you charge their 50 longbeards with the 'charge me or flee' rune. Watch your deployment here, try and screen your lvl 4's unit with another unit or terrain.

TK:
Your blocks beat their blocks. If the have a prince/king it shouldn't last a round against Warriors. The standard build involves three of the big sphinxes and 1 unit of necroknights. They will have to use those to grind out your blocks, but you should put enough 6s back on them to pop them in return.
-If they have screaming skull catapults stay within 12" of your general/bsb. If they have the skulls of the foe then you will panic at -1ldr.
-Yes they crumble if they lose, they lost the ability to magic charge your units, and they heal wounds back on units with each cast of a spell.

Daemons:
Daemon lists are all over the place right now. Here's some general advice:

Khorne: hits hard, has killing blow. Will have hatred on the first round with a herald. Warriors can still go toe to toe and mow through them at I5 and str4. Has MR1-3 so throwing magic missles them are usually not the best tactics.

Tzeentch: The wizards. If he has a block of 40 of them: gateway, gateway, gateway. Flamers are leadbelchers, but better. They shouldn't be as big of a pain due to your high toughness, armor, and a ward. Just don't charge junk into them and you should hold up.

Nurgle: Tough, has regen, has poison with a herald. You don't see a lot of these blocks anymore, but you should win the grind.

Slaanesh: Quick, low strength, armor piercing. Again, you should win the grind here. If you see Fiends of Slaanesh - watch your Arse - they run 20", charge is 10 + 3d6 switstride. Give them the slightest flank and they will be in your business like no one else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need tactical advice   

Back to top Go down

Need tactical advice
Page 1 of 1