Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

If I were to build ogres...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

If I were to build ogres... Empty
PostSubject: If I were to build ogres...   If I were to build ogres... Icon_minitime3rd September 2011, 9:12 pm

Slaughtermaster
-lvl4, 4+ ward
-Maw

Bruiser
-bsb, gw, hvy armor

Butcher
-lvl2, scroll

Core:
6x ogres
-muso, std

6x ogres
-muso, std

50x gnoblars

7x Ironguts
-FC, +1ldr banner
(Thinking this could be the bunker for lvl4, bsb)

Special:
4x Leadbelchers
-muso

4x Leadbelchers
-muso

4x Maneaters, brace of pistols
-sniper, scout
(scout in front of a character - pref wizo, w/i 12" nets you 8 BS4, Str4 shots turn1)

Rare:
Thundertusk (6" ASL aura)

Ironblaster (cannon)

...31 Ogres.

The only real gimmick is the maneaters. I could see dropping them out to pump up core, but I love the sneaky assassin ogres.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: If I were to build ogres...   If I were to build ogres... Icon_minitime5th September 2011, 10:41 am

Ok, after reviewing the book more...i'd drop the 8 leadbelchers to bump up core and swap the thundertusk for the stonehorn...

I think...it all looks so ogrey.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: If I were to build ogres...   If I were to build ogres... Icon_minitime5th September 2011, 6:22 pm

2nd draft (new army book sickness)

Lord:
Slaughtermaster
-lvl 4, earthing rod, 4+ ward
-Maw

Hero:
Bruiser BSB
-heavy armor, ifist, GW, giantbreaker, dragonhelm

Butcher
-scroll
-Beasts

Core:
7x Ogres
-FC

7x Ogres
-FC

7x Ironguts
-FC
-+1 ldr banner

25x Gnoblars

25x Gnoblars

Special:
1x Sabercat

1x Sabercat

4x Leadbelchers
-muso

4x Maneaters
-brace of pistols, scout, snipe

Rare:
Stonehorn

Ironblaster
Back to top Go down
Monkey
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Monkey

PostSubject: Re: If I were to build ogres...   If I were to build ogres... Icon_minitime6th September 2011, 12:39 am

I know that you are vastly more well-versed in the world of fantasy, but I think I'd take a unit of Mournfang Cavalry over the Maneaters. I know they're expensive, but a 2+ save and seven attacks per model after d3 impact hits is awesome. It may just be the shiny of it all, but that sounds sweet. Movement 8 is also lovely. Possibly give them the Rune Maw banner so you don't get magicked to death.

I also think you could combine Ironguts and Thundertusks to great effect with the Numbing Chill rule.

I'm perusing the book now, and that's what caught my fancy. Some of the Ogre spells are pretty damned hard now. I don't care for the big spell, however, as it has a solid chance of biting you in the Arse.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: If I were to build ogres...   If I were to build ogres... Icon_minitime6th September 2011, 6:32 am

I'd probably want to proxy in some Mournfang due to cost. I like the idea of Ogres having heavy cav with a 2+ save and 7 attacks a round, but I think unless you build your entire list around them then you're risking losing them. They can't have a character in them and if you over extend them then they are ldr 8 w/ a reroll. I do agree that they look sexy as all get out on paper.

As for the big beastie - I had the thundertusk in at first, but I think you're going to find that with the aura being 6" you're really going to be limited to affecting 1 unit at a time. If you paired him up with the Ironguts then that would be a pretty good pairing.

Let me know when you want to get a game in Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: If I were to build ogres...   If I were to build ogres... Icon_minitime6th September 2011, 11:56 am

Not sure how effective the cav will be in contrast to points cost.

Dennis played his Ogres built around a big block of Maneaters with the Tyrant and a Butcher included and it was a pain to deal with.

I would make that the "Deathstar" . Add 6 man unit of Ironguts. Some 4 man units of Ogres needed to fill out core and one of the big monsters. I would start with that and make adjustments.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: If I were to build ogres...   If I were to build ogres... Icon_minitime6th September 2011, 12:08 pm

That build is probably taking hit because you can't allocate around Maneaters anymore.
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: If I were to build ogres...   If I were to build ogres... Icon_minitime6th September 2011, 12:16 pm

capnwoodrow wrote:
That build is probably taking hit because you can't allocate around Maneaters anymore.

I guessing you are talking about "wounds allocation"? Wasn't aware they changed that.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: If I were to build ogres...   If I were to build ogres... Icon_minitime6th September 2011, 12:27 pm

Yeah. It's a specific note in their entry now. It says whenever they suffer wounds you pick a single Maneaters regardless of equipment and apply all wounds to him.
Back to top Go down
warhammerworld
Apothecary with a box of band aids
Apothecary with a box of band aids

PostSubject: Re: If I were to build ogres...   If I were to build ogres... Icon_minitime7th September 2011, 1:02 am

capnwoodrow wrote:
It says whenever they suffer wounds you pick a single Maneaters regardless of equipment and apply all wounds to him.

Always has been that way. Unlike the counterpart game, Fantasy has always taken out the wounded as they fall. Champ can be different, and that was in the last Ogre book. I will have the new one tomorrow, but I bet that hasn't changed.

4-7 maneaters is just about impossible to deal with. Put 2 or 3 or 4 characters in that unit, and it becomes one that nobody will go near. I only ever ran 2 maneaters in a unit with 4 characters in it.

In the old book, you had to have a tyrant to run a slaughtermaster. Has that changed? I see this list without a Tyrant.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: If I were to build ogres...   If I were to build ogres... Icon_minitime7th September 2011, 7:05 am

warhammerworld wrote:

Always has been that way. Unlike the counterpart game, Fantasy has always taken out the wounded as they fall. Champ can be different, and that was in the last Ogre book. I will have the new one tomorrow, but I bet that hasn't changed.

Ah, my bad then. I think someone at the shop last week had said that because they were all equipped differently then you could randomize shooting into them. My mistake. Maneaters still put out four str 5 a piece, so they still appear to be very good.

I've looked around the book several times and unless i'm just missing it, I don't see anything stating a Tyrant is required anymore. Which I think means you'll never see a tyrant again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If I were to build ogres...   If I were to build ogres... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If I were to build ogres...
Page 1 of 1