Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Purity Seal Issue

Go down 
+5
gamewizard
Fulminata
bsimon
Verminlord
big_d
9 posters
AuthorMessage
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

Purity Seal Issue Empty
PostSubject: Purity Seal Issue   Purity Seal Issue Icon_minitime20th August 2009, 9:11 pm

I bought a new can of Purity Seal this week and I just went to seal my Forgeworld Khorne Terminators and it ruined them. It looks like I sprayed them with white primer.

I have never had this happen before and I have been using this stuff for years. Anyone else have this problem lately?
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

Purity Seal Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purity Seal Issue   Purity Seal Issue Icon_minitime20th August 2009, 9:22 pm

Had this problem once before. More than likely your can was not at room temperature. Not air conditioned room temp. If it is too cool outside or the can is too cold, that will happen.

I feel your pain. Sad Did this to some Skaven models many moons ago. After a few choice words, began repainting them.
Back to top Go down
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

Purity Seal Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purity Seal Issue   Purity Seal Issue Icon_minitime20th August 2009, 10:28 pm

I've never had it happen. It's common, however.

I BELIEVE it's humidity related. Supposedly revarnishing at appropriate temperature and humidity can fix this:

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-30863.html
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

Purity Seal Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purity Seal Issue   Purity Seal Issue Icon_minitime20th August 2009, 10:33 pm

I was one of those who had heard of it happening but never had it happen until tonight. I don't think it was temperature because the can wasn't cold. The only thing I can think of is that it was actually Purity Seal where I have been using Games Workshop Matte Varnish. Guess it is a bit different and I am not used to it. Only thing I can think of.

I was able to salvage the models by putting a VERY think layer of Devlan Mud over them (what can't that stuff fix?) They don't look bad now, just not as good as they did. Live and learn I guess.

I read the thread bsimon posted and it looks like they recommend Testors. I have used it once and it worked nicely. Guess I will have to pick up a can of that until I shake my jitters.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

Purity Seal Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purity Seal Issue   Purity Seal Issue Icon_minitime20th August 2009, 10:37 pm

Testor's Gloss is wonderful, but not cheap. I've always used Testor's Gloss and Citadel Matte in the past, but now that they've gone to the Purity Seal I may have to give Testor's Matte a try.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

Purity Seal Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purity Seal Issue   Purity Seal Issue Icon_minitime20th August 2009, 10:43 pm

Testors Gloss and Testors Dullcote were my choice of poison for many years. I liked them until I tried GW's Purity Seal; I like it better.

I am sorry about this issue and if it came from my store let me know and I'll either give you equal credit or I will replace the can; your choice.
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
Itkovian
Blind Ratling Sniper
Itkovian

Purity Seal Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purity Seal Issue   Purity Seal Issue Icon_minitime21st August 2009, 5:04 am

I had heard that a bit of rubbing alcohol can solve the frosting problem - but it may well make it worse as well...

I'm scared of varnishing my models (though I realise the necessity - the amount of chips I have to touch up on my Imperial Guard after just one game is ridiculous), I've heard too many disaster stories - especially with Purity Seal. Maybe people are more vocal with it because it comes from GW?

I intend to go the Testors route - there are some nice deals for the stuff on ebay.
Back to top Go down
http://itkovian.blogspot.com
BIg Al
Necron Pariah visiting a shrink
Necron Pariah visiting a shrink
BIg Al

Purity Seal Issue Empty
PostSubject: Glossy look on nids   Purity Seal Issue Icon_minitime21st August 2009, 7:02 am

I can feel your pain Big D. I wanted a wet look on my nids and use a high gloss spray varnish (although most spray paints are effected similarly IMO). I can say humidity greater than 60% increases the risk of that cloudy white effect (or clumpyness on primer). Humid Arkansas! If it happens, I try to find a less humid location (or time of the day - noon on a third sunny day in a row) and reapply the gloss. Usually does the trick. If you intend to continue to spray varnish, get a hygrometer and it will tell you the humidity.
Back to top Go down
warhammerworld
Apothecary with a box of band aids
Apothecary with a box of band aids

Purity Seal Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purity Seal Issue   Purity Seal Issue Icon_minitime21st August 2009, 10:08 am

Sprayed a Bloodbowl team with the stuff about 5 years ago. They came out looking like they had just played in Green Bay in January. I called the FoolzBoyz at GW, and they told me to spray them again with the same stuff, only at room temp with dry conditions. I sprayed the whiteys, and most of the blur came off. Surprise!

Gw will give your money back, but that don't repaint the FW Termies.

Devlin Mud! Saviour of the painting world!
Back to top Go down
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

Purity Seal Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purity Seal Issue   Purity Seal Issue Icon_minitime21st August 2009, 11:39 am

It was the humitdity

"The Horror Story : I finished the dreads and clear coated them and went out when they were dry to bring them in... and they were covered in a white haze. So after pacing and freaking out 2 days before my tourney deadline I called around to the local solid painters and searched on the interwebz to see if their was a quick fix. (aka not stripping and doing it over) I found 2 ways to fix the problem. 1. zip kicker super glue accelerant. 2. gloss clear and then flat clear on top of that. Having nothing to loose at all. I went the next day (now the night before the tournament) and bought everything I needed from the local hobby shop. I tried about 5 coats of zip kicker and it did look better but it was still what I would called ruined. So I glossed it and took it into the bath room to let it dry with all the lights and heat lamp on and the fan. It was the humidity that did it so I've learned. And after the coat of Gloss it looked like new again. I then hit it with flat clear and did the same thing. Applied the static grass about 2 am the night before the tourney. Talk about close! "

From my painting blog on dakka. Simply gloss coat on it and keep the humidity in check however you can. After it dries flat clear on top of that. done!

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/120/237611.page
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

Purity Seal Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purity Seal Issue   Purity Seal Issue Icon_minitime21st August 2009, 11:49 am

Well general consensus is that it was the humidity.

I will consider it a lesson learned and will not throw my can of purity seal away. I will have to pick up a can of gloss coat though just in case this happen again.
Back to top Go down
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

Purity Seal Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purity Seal Issue   Purity Seal Issue Icon_minitime21st August 2009, 12:05 pm

as far as the brands go heres my dumb painter opinion.

Testors is a good paint but I hate how their paint atomizes. Very thick particles. Like I said good quaility paint if you can learn how to spray it. I have a custom paint degree and painted hot rods on the side for about 6 years (I don't have a booth anymore Sad ) and I still don't know how to spray testors.

Tamiyas is currently my favorite. That stuff acts just like testors as far as quality but the spray comes out so much finer. This does 2 things. You can have more control over where it sprays and you can get more of an even coat. This also allows you to do multiple thin layers. I go through about 5 cans of this a month.

Purity Seal I have never used. However some of the best modeler and painters in the world use this stuff. Almost all golden demon cats will recommend this as well as people that have no affiliation with GW what so ever. Don't belive me my last 3 issues of military modeler bring up purity seal in two or three of their tutorials along with devlun mud.

It could have been the can. I'm 95% sure it was the humidity. If it was the can it was either really old, not shaken properly, or just opened. I think if it were just opened or really old you would do a test something first even if its just the news paper to check it and I'm sure you know how to shake a can. I blame arkysaw for this mishap!
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

Purity Seal Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purity Seal Issue   Purity Seal Issue Icon_minitime21st August 2009, 3:27 pm

littleboyblues wrote:
Testors is a good paint but I hate how their paint atomizes. Very thick particles. Like I said good quaility paint if you can learn how to spray it. I have a custom paint degree and painted hot rods on the side for about 6 years (I don't have a booth anymore Sad ) and I still don't know how to spray testors.

Tamiyas is currently my favorite. That stuff acts just like testors as far as quality but the spray comes out so much finer. This does 2 things. You can have more control over where it sprays and you can get more of an even coat. This also allows you to do multiple thin layers. I go through about 5 cans of this a month.

The way Testor's comes out of the can is actually one of the reasons I prefer it. It seems to do a better job of getting everywhere on the model, even into most of the nooks and crannies. That's more important to me than control when I'm trying to put a protective coat on a miniature. That's been my experience anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

Purity Seal Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Purity Seal Issue   Purity Seal Issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Purity Seal Issue
Page 1 of 1