Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WargamesCon 2k

Go down 
+2
littleboyblues
PhantomPhoenix
6 posters
AuthorMessage
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime13th June 2011, 12:12 am

So, after my poor performance at IDM I want to toy with something else for a while. Thinking jumpers might be a good way to at least get something new going, at least for a little while. I know a few of you guys might be a little burnt out for list tweaking right now, but figured it was still worth a post. Though it might be interesting to try and get one of those priests on a bike and stick him with the smaller AB unit, though a JP can keep up just fine so that might not be necessary...

Librarian - Shield/Lance, Jump pack - 125

Sang Priest x3 - Jump Packs - 225

Assault Squad x10 - Melta x2, Power Fist - 235

Attack Bikes x3 - Heavy Bolters - 120
Attack Bikes x3 - Heavy Bolters - 120
Attack Bikes x2 - Heavy Bolters - 80

Devastators x5 - Missile Launchers x4 - 130

2000/2000

The heavy bolters give more ranged support and give the list a way to help deal with threats it should never charge, even with FC/FNP (Read: Halberd Termies and Fiends) but they seem a bit awkward still.

Last edited by PhantomPhoenix on 16th June 2011, 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: Re: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime13th June 2011, 1:25 am

I don't think the 8 Hvy bolter attack bikes will be overly useful against most armies.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: Re: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime13th June 2011, 7:30 pm

Yeah, I wasn't too sure on them either. But against armies like Nids, GK, and Daemons they'd be the huge. I was considering MM attack bikes, but with 8 Melta Guns, 12 Missile Launchers, and Lance Anti Tank seemed mostly covered. Which left me trying to fill suppression and Anti-Hoard. Normally the 40 Angry Marines would fill that role nicely, but there are things that will kill them handily that 12 Missiles/8 Melta/Tons of Bolt Pistols won't be able to kill effectively.

With Heavy Slots filled I've got my Elites/Fast/Troops left to fill those roles. I've never been a fan of VV and the list doesn't lend itself well to Baals which leaves me with Bikes or Speeders in the fast slots and I'm not sure what I would grab from Elites to add to this.

If you have any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: Re: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime13th June 2011, 8:25 pm

This list seems tailored to defeat local meta (who else needs to beat demons, nids, and nonTerm spam GK). It'd suffer against mech, it seems. You recognize that.

Looks fun to play.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: Re: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime13th June 2011, 9:08 pm

If you want to do DOA, then do it. Take Dante and some vanguard. You've gotta hit and impact on turn one or they will shoot your other units up before they charge after landing.

You won't need that many priests.

The bikes have no role to play. They would be ineffective against 80% of the foes you will face. Drop them and work in Other things.

Remember the Austin meta will be guard, mech ba, space wolves and grey knights
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: Re: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime14th June 2011, 12:03 am

I wasn't planning on DoA, no intention to have these guys Deepstrike against most lists. This also isn't a list I plan on taking to Austin, I'm just looking for something else to play for a little while. No interest in looking at my Razorbacks at the moment. I understand that the HB Bikes may not be the best choice, but I honestly can't find anything else that fills the role I feel they need to and fits in with the rest of the list. I'm looking for suggestions. VV, Baals, and DC are the only things I'm strongly against at this time.
Back to top Go down
Dannato
Spirit Guide to Lost Souls
Dannato

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: Re: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime14th June 2011, 12:20 am

My only question is why do you feel so strongly against vanguard vets?
Back to top Go down
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: Re: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime14th June 2011, 3:21 am

I actaully don't like V vets either. For me its they only way to make use of their ability is to give em jump packs then they get expensive quick and will hardly ever do anything to warrant their 200 points for 5 guys price tag. shrug thats me.

Now in fast lets see you have baal preds and speeders I think either of those would do much better. But then again I wouldn't run jump packs either.... sooo
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: Re: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime14th June 2011, 3:43 am

Basically what LBB said. I find they're either relatively cheap (200 isn't really cheap) and also relatively ineffective, or very expensive but unable to win combats at the end of the day.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: Re: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime16th June 2011, 8:04 pm

Just realized we really only have 4 Weeks until this thing so I don't really have the time to be screwing around with jumpers. That said Mech is back in I guess. Below is an actual shot at a WargamesCon worthy list... 2 actually...

2000 Pts - Blood Angels Roster

List 1 2000/2000

Librarian - Shield/Fear - 100

Furioso - Heavy Flamer, Grapple, Pod - 185

Assault Squad x5 - Melta/Infernus TL-HFlamer'back - 145
Assault Squad x5 - Melta/Infernus LasPlas'back - 180
Assault Squad x5 - Melta/Infernus LasPlas'back - 180

Landspeeder - Typhoon - 90

Predator - AutoLas - 135
Predator - AutoLas - 135
Predator - AutoLas - 135

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

List 2 - 1990/2000

Furioso - Heavy Flamer, Grapple, Pod - 185

Assault Squad x5 - Melta LasPlas'back - 165
Assault Squad x5 - Melta LasPlas'back - 165

Baal Predator - TL-AC, HBolters - 145
Baal Predator - TL-AC, HBolters - 145

Predator - AutoLas - 135
Predator - AutoLas - 135
Predator - AutoLas - 135

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The core is the same as my basic list, I don't want to change it too much because I have had good results in the past. Missing Power Weapons, and the 2 DS Melta units (Techmarine/Speeder) but I think overall both lists have equal if not better stopping power this way. My biggest concern (except for the missing power weaons) is how little I've actually used or even seen Furioso's played.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: Re: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime16th June 2011, 11:02 pm

I like these lists better for sure. I'd go with half flamer and half las plas on te backs if you could. Don't worry about no power weapons. With MSU it shouldn't matter. Always of te mind if you can't take a fist don't buy anything.

My only constructive crit would be to drop the furioso. What is it accomplishing for you?

I like 2 baals but you also need a drop in melta. I'd look at 2 baals and one speeder maybe? The baals are a differing role tank in early bs late game an can save you games when they tankshock, ram, contest last turn with an 18" str 10 ram.
Back to top Go down
Monkey
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Veteran Sergeant without his helmet
Monkey

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: Re: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime16th June 2011, 11:15 pm

I think you'll do well against mech heavy lists, but odd ball lists might give you issues. Also, I agree with Jester on the Furioso. You've got it in a pod, so you're going to drop it in their face on the first turn. At that point, it's the only threat that all of that melta that's running around can reach, so it's going to evaporate quickly. It's a little costly for that. Landspeeders with meltas fill the role, and you should be able to get a squadron of 2 for that price.

Lastly, that's a lot of kill points which are frequently a secondary or tertiary objective if not the primary.

Just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: Re: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime17th June 2011, 12:02 am

As far as the killpoints, I learned that one the hard way in round 1 of IDM, my Troops alone had were 1.5X the KP of my opponents whole army. Not sure if there's much if anything I can do about that and still play Mech Angels.

On the topic of Drop Melta, I guess I was kinda spoiled by my Chaos days with Termicide. It's hard to find something that reliable and cost effective here. Having only Fast and Elites slots left open leaves me with Speeders/Bikes, Techmarines, and Honour Guard as my only really reliable/afforable removal.

Easiest to build would be the below, only need to pick up another Pred.

Libby x2 - 200

Techmarine - Pack, Combimelta - 60

Flamer'back x3 - 5 Assault Marines, Melta, Infernus - 435
Lasplas'back x3 - 5 Assault Marines, Melta, Infernus - 540

Baal x2 - TL-AC, HBolters - 290
Speeder - MM, HFlamer - 70

Autolas x3 - 405

Basically it's the list I took to IDM but dropped, the Power Weapons from Techmarine and all Sergeants, Spotlight filler, and the HKM's from the Baals in exchange for a 3rd Autolas Pred. Comes in at exactly 2000. Seems like a fair trade overall, unless we have 2 Dawn of War type scenarios like we did in IDM Razz
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: Re: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime17th June 2011, 7:48 am

Seven game tournament, so at least 2 if not 3 will be dawn of war!
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: Re: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime17th June 2011, 8:22 am

Dawn of War is fairly popular tourney set up as it prevents the alpha strike of a lot of armies, so it tends to be in heavy tourney rotation.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: Re: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime17th June 2011, 9:36 am

capnwoodrow wrote:
Dawn of War is fairly popular tourney set up as it prevents the alpha strike of a lot of armies, so it tends to be in heavy tourney rotation.

Please define 'popular', all I've ever heard/read are varying degrees of "DoW (scenario not game) sucks!" lol. I think either one hindrance would work fine solo, but combining them makes me sad. That said, do you think it would be worthwhile to change the speeder into another Techmarine and purchase lights for 10/11 chassis? I'm not sure they get enough use to justify the change.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: Re: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime17th June 2011, 10:07 am

"frequently encountered or widely accepted"

As you said it was 2/5 at IDM. Jester is accurate that it will be 2-3 scenarios at WGC.

At this point just pick a list and start playing it as much as you can. Theoryhammer won't save lack of experience with any army.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WargamesCon 2k Empty
PostSubject: Re: WargamesCon 2k   WargamesCon 2k Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WargamesCon 2k
Page 1 of 1