Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Citadel Finecast Announced

Go down 
+3
Fulminata
Wildeyedjester
Haren
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Haren
Venerable Dreadnought
Venerable Dreadnought
Haren

Citadel Finecast Announced Empty
PostSubject: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime16th May 2011, 4:33 pm

Just doing my daily blog perusal and hit BOLS and noticed that they mentioned that GW's Citadel resin / hybrid-resin model range will be available soon. Hey Will, preorder me a Vanguard Vet.

Here is the offical announcment:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=16400050a

And here is a link to the BOLS forum post that list most of the re-release.
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=15272
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime16th May 2011, 5:47 pm

Did you also notice the price hike accompanying the move? Resin will be cheaper for them and yet they will raise prices. Very GW.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime16th May 2011, 6:18 pm

Wildeyedjester wrote:
Did you also notice the price hike accompanying the move? Resin will be cheaper for them and yet they will raise prices. Very GW.
Heh, I hope you weren't surprised.

Metal prices go up, GW raises prices. Metal prices go down, GW raises prices. GW drops metal for something cheaper, GW raises prices.

At least we don't live in Australia.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime16th May 2011, 6:39 pm

Yeah, but you forget that changing molds or recasting molds is very expensive. Also, GW's stuff is still on par or cheaper than most other lines.
Back to top Go down
sithkhan
Vanilla Marine with Blue Armor
sithkhan

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime16th May 2011, 6:54 pm

Don't forget the semi-annual price bump in June as well. I may have to stop at two armies.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime16th May 2011, 7:42 pm

For metal to resin it is my understanding that there is no changing of mold necessary
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime16th May 2011, 8:09 pm

What does Scumbag Steve say?

https://i.imgur.com/SkrM0.jpg
Back to top Go down
bdix
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
Leering Pear Daemon Thing of Nurgle
bdix

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime16th May 2011, 11:37 pm

Let's go to the UK and picket outside their headquarters. Until I can get a box of space marines for 5 dollars, I WILL NOT BE SATISFIED.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime17th May 2011, 12:11 am

Hand in hand with the GW Anglosphere embargo. Not making friends today, are we GW?
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime17th May 2011, 12:36 am

sithkhan wrote:
Don't forget the semi-annual price bump in June as well. I may have to stop at two armies.

Maybe the price hike is included in the relaunch. I can wish anyway.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime17th May 2011, 2:18 am

Verminlord wrote:
Yeah, but you forget that changing molds or recasting molds is very expensive. Also, GW's stuff is still on par or cheaper than most other lines.

No it's not. Admittedly, I look at the broader field that includes historicals, but GW's miniatures are consistently among the most expensive miniatures around.

I will say that since posting earlier I've talked with some that know more about this than I do, and while the materials are cheaper and the molds are the same, apparently the resin process is more labor intensive, so there is at least some justification for the higher prices.
Back to top Go down
sithkhan
sithkhan

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime17th May 2011, 3:58 am

They are also increasing Army Books and Codices by about $4 more each. Not to mention the jumps of $10-15 per battalion. I think Tomb Kings and O&G are static - all the rest are gonna hit the Century mark or higher.

They are still really good bargains - but I've only been in the hobby 12 months and have seen three discrete price increases by GW so far.

Here's hoping Mantic rolls out an army like the Empire soon.
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime17th May 2011, 7:37 pm

Fulminata wrote:
Verminlord wrote:

No it's not. Admittedly, I look at the broader field that includes historicals, but GW's miniatures are consistently among the most expensive miniatures around.

I will say that since posting earlier I've talked with some that know more about this than I do, and while the materials are cheaper and the molds are the same, apparently the resin process is more labor intensive, so there is at least some justification for the higher prices.

I have been buying minis for 18 years. I have bought a lot of minis besides GW, and yes, GW's minis are still on par or cheaper than most other lines. Most recently I have gotten into Warmachine/Hordes and the metals they produce are about the same price. Reaper, not even close on price. Maybe if you need that one character model or monster for your DnD game, ok. But try to field an entire army of Reaper and it will be more money. I've looked into doing exactly this in the past, could be different now but doubt it. Warzone minis, when the company that made these minis was around they were on par or cheaper than GW at the time.

Don't know who you've talked to, but THE MOLD IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE part of the injection molding process. A very simple mold of something like an ash tray for example can cost 10k. So I am sure that the mini molds with all the detail are way more expensive than that. Now am no chemist but I would assume that the materials used would have different reactions to the molding process(mainly bubbling) that may cause some altering of the molds, such as the holes to let the gasses escape, to prevent any number of things that may wrong in the molding process. How much impact this could have on cost, who really knows. I have no doubt that the process is more labor intensive.

Now does any of this justify another price hike? If there is one thing I have learned about GW, they don't need a reason to justify it. They will just do it. And people will keep buying their stuff no matter how much they complain, just like cigarettes. Only I have never heard of anyone dying from buying too much GW stuff.
Back to top Go down
sithkhan
sithkhan

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime17th May 2011, 8:06 pm

Me donating plasma four times a week under four pseudonyms is gonna have to bring up a counterpoint ... heh.

You are correct - the models are still a good value. I think what has started to sour the milk for me is the incessent hikes in the army books. How old is the Brettonian Armybook? Has it really increased in value from 22.50 to 33.00 in 12 months? You would think that the newest Armybooks would have been priced appropriately from their initial offering; seems they could not even get that right.

I'm taking a hard look at this hobby, and what I am willing to spend to be entertained and enjoy an afternoon with my friends.

Sorry for the grousing - between the Pan-Oceanic decision by GW, and the incessant price increases, I'm trying to determine how this hobby can have an initial startup price that is affordable to the new player.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime18th May 2011, 6:28 am

Verminlord wrote:
Fulminata wrote:
Verminlord wrote:

I have been buying minis for 18 years. I have bought a lot of minis besides GW, and yes, GW's minis are still on par or cheaper than most other lines.

Um, no.

GW character model: $15
Reaper equivalent: $5 to $10

GW plastic skeletons (tomb kings): 16 for $35 or $2.19 a model.
Mantic plastic skeletons: 10 for $15 or $1.50 a model (and that's the most expensive all plastic option, it gets cheaper with volume).

Those were examples I found in minutes. I could find more if I wanted to spend the time doing it.

Comparing equivalent models, GW models are consistently more expensive, and by a significant amount. This has been true for at least the past decade.
Back to top Go down
Verminlord
Keeper of Secrets
Keeper of Secrets
Verminlord

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime18th May 2011, 5:05 pm

sithkhan wrote:
Me donating plasma four times a week under four pseudonyms is gonna have to bring up a counterpoint ... heh.

You are correct - the models are still a good value. I think what has started to sour the milk for me is the incessent hikes in the army books. How old is the Brettonian Armybook? Has it really increased in value from 22.50 to 33.00 in 12 months? You would think that the newest Armybooks would have been priced appropriately from their initial offering; seems they could not even get that right.

I'm taking a hard look at this hobby, and what I am willing to spend to be entertained and enjoy an afternoon with my friends.

Sorry for the grousing - between the Pan-Oceanic decision by GW, and the incessant price increases, I'm trying to determine how this hobby can have an initial startup price that is affordable to the new player.

So the fact that the books will be hardback doesn't help anything?

Also, I guess I have an advantage in the fact that I don't really have to buy much to keep my Skaven going. Just whatever new goodies I want to play with. Price was also a deciding factor in getting rid of some my stuff. Decided I had to many armies to try and keep up with. The next project is to redo the Necrons when they get a new book. After that, GW is going to have to come up with something super cool to keep getting my dollars.
Back to top Go down
sithkhan
sithkhan

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime18th May 2011, 7:36 pm

Verminlord wrote:

So the fact that the books will be hardback doesn't help anything?

I can understand the new book price, with the hard back and the color printing. It's the other books, that cost $25 one year ago, that now cost $33. The Wood Elf, Ogre Kingdom, and Brettonian army books are old. That is what I was grousing about. Why raise the price on army books that are rumored to be in the pipe to be replaced? Why present an opportunity for a new player to be bitten over a book that could possibly be out of date in 6 months? IT is this type of business management that confuses me.

I LOVE this hobby, and especially the IP of GW. I'm just in full-throated neckbeard mode. ;__;

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast Announced   Citadel Finecast Announced Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Citadel Finecast Announced
Page 1 of 1