Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

IDM Constructive Crit

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

IDM Constructive Crit Empty
PostSubject: IDM Constructive Crit   IDM Constructive Crit Icon_minitime14th May 2011, 3:43 am

Scenario 1
All looks good. I don't understand 2 of the 4 bonus points that just say "+1 Players choice"
Having a fixed game length on objective missions benefits fast armies.. especially fast tank skimmer armies that can transport troops. Dark Eldar, Guard, Mecdar will have a bit of an advantage here. I personally would recommend doing random game length.

Scenario 2
I think it would be best to define 'control'. Does this mean that you have more scoring units in the table quarter? More units in general? More victory points? Can anything contest a quarter? Again I don't fully under stand the "+1 Players choice". The bonus point where you have to kill all your opponents elites does this count any dedicated transports they'll have? I think outflank should be allowed here but I can understand if not because of the table quarter thing.

Scenario 3
See no problems or hick ups here. I had to read the bonus part a couple of times to fully get it. I think outflank should be allowed here.

Scenario 4
Who gets to place the objectives do we get to know what is the Alpha Beta ect. before we put them out? Still don't understand the "+1 Players choice". I think outflank should be allowed here.

Scenario 5
It says to control a piece of terrain have a unit wholly in or on it. Does this mean troops? Can they be contested just like a normal objective? Again on the "+1" and outflanking.

I don't really like how outflank is only allowed in 1 mission. My reasoning for this is with Alpha strike armies on the rise in the tournament scene (cripple you beyond recovery before you can even have a turn) outflank and reserving everything is about the only ways a lot of armies have to deal with it. I believe its just as important as deep striking units are now days.

Anywho I just thought I would throw up some constructive criticisms about the missions. Overall I like how the missions have gotten harder to claim full points and seem a little more balanced this year. (Over last years mission 3 win roll to go first and win game scenario.) Some of my question I knew what was intended I was just playing devils advocate as you might encounter some things creep up on some of them. Might stop some players bitching.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: IDM Constructive Crit   IDM Constructive Crit Icon_minitime14th May 2011, 9:48 am

Linky:

http://tshirtexplosiongaming.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=11526158
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

PostSubject: Re: IDM Constructive Crit   IDM Constructive Crit Icon_minitime14th May 2011, 9:56 am

Fixed turns are fine and pretty standard. You just have to take down the enemies fast stuff and plan for fixed turns if thats the scenario. On this one i disagree with LBB.

Control needs to be clarified as with troops for sure. Especially in mission 5.

I agree outflank should be allowed on all scenarios. If enemies can deep strike, teleport shunt, and infiltrate then outflank should be fine too. Im assuming it was errantly left off 2-5.

I agree clarification on alpha beta objective placement needs clarification.

Scenarios look fun. #1 should pull out the murderous armies and make them all play each other in later scenarios, as #1is tough to win unless you are tabling your opponent. There will only be a few people who win it - most will tie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: IDM Constructive Crit   IDM Constructive Crit Icon_minitime23rd May 2011, 6:17 pm

Scenario 1:
So a true tie is a loss for both players? Interesting idea. It looks like it would actually encourage players to abandon their own objective last turn as it would be more favorable than going 1-1 w/ your opponent (assuming tied KP).

Bonus points look standard.

S2:
Control needs to be clarified. Nothing new here. Generally "Have a troop unit in the board quarter, no enemy units in the board quarter." Encourages troop heavy armies.

Bonus point 1 seems unbalanced. I know it's one tourney point, but if i'm playing nids - then I have to kill a six wound, toughness six creature to get it? Seems steep compared to the guard player who can throw one spotlight on a rhino and open up on it.

Bonus point 2 needs clarification - do you get the point even if your opponent didn't field any of choice X? Generally the answer to that is "yes."

S3:
This seems like another drawfest. I have to wipe out all 6 of my opponent's 5x tac marines in las/plas rhinos while keeping my troops/HQ alive for a win.

Bonus point need clarification. If my opponent has none of the selected options do I gain +1 point from him per category? Again, the answer should be "yes" otherwise I have no possible way to achieve a 20 on score. The way it's worded seems to indicate that you have to actually pick a unit, however, and double up as needed. It seems less of a penalty the 2nd way as you are already just playing kill points.
Also need to clarify that only units can be picked, not the vehicles they are in. Again, not a major issue - but it might come up.

S4:
I'm assuming the objectives will all be pre-placed at your table for this one. I can't tell on reading if these objectives are secret or open. If secret then it needs to be clarified what will happen if they are accidentally revealed.

Bonus point seems standard.

S5:
Seems like another easy draw.

Bonus points seem fine.
S5:

Back to top Go down
ares
T-Shirt Explosion Owner
ares

PostSubject: Re: IDM Constructive Crit   IDM Constructive Crit Icon_minitime24th May 2011, 9:20 am

Just as a bit of clarification, I put up the scenarios early because people wanted to see them, I specifically put in the post telling people where they were that they were probable scenarios. I put that in there, because I was still experimenting and play testing them. All scenarios will include outflank, was simply an omission that was caught during play testing. As to clarification on terms and such, there was not room on the single page so there will be an additional page to your tournament book that will have explanations for terms in scenarios. As to the +1 players choice. Your will be given a set of 8 individual bonus points. You will then be able to decide before set up which two you will use for this mission. However, once you have used it, it is gone. So what ever you have left will be your bonus points in the last game. Just something a little different to try out. I hope to have the revised and final scenarios up by this weekend. Thank you for your comments. They are always appreciated and listened to. Our main goal is to make sure that you have an exciting, fun and great weekend of gaming at our tournament. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to help make this happen. And sorry Brent, Nude Dancing Girls to serve beer is not feasable.
Back to top Go down
http://tshirtexplosion.com
bsimon
Chaos Daemon Prince
Chaos Daemon Prince

PostSubject: Re: IDM Constructive Crit   IDM Constructive Crit Icon_minitime24th May 2011, 11:31 am

ares wrote:
And sorry Brent, Nude Dancing Girls to serve beer is not feasable.

I don't drink, so as long as they're cavorting and pouring milk on each other, I'm good.

Make sure it's skim milk. I want to watch their figure.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

PostSubject: Re: IDM Constructive Crit   IDM Constructive Crit Icon_minitime20th June 2011, 11:11 pm

I can't remember the final draft cuts and changes from round one, but the scenarios were a blast and I loved the players choice aspect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IDM Constructive Crit   IDM Constructive Crit Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

IDM Constructive Crit
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Top :: Warhammer 40k :: Scenarios-
Jump to: