HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Battletech - I ALMOST get it

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
big_d
Inquisitor

PostSubject: Battletech - I ALMOST get it   11th April 2011, 5:40 pm

I'm reading through the rules and so far everything is clicking except one part.

So here goes my explanatino of what I am not getting.

1. You roll initiative

2. You then go to the movement phase.

You take turns going back and forth moving models until all have been moved. I get it up to here.

3. Weapon Attack Phase

You choose a unit to declare fire choosing what target and what weapons you will fire.

You take turns doing this until all fire has been declared.

4. Resolving Weapons Fire

Players resolve weapons fire one at a time. All declared attacks are made even if what they were shooting at is blown up.

5. Apply damage

You now apply the effects of all the damage to the models.

Where it falls apart for me is phase 3,4, and 5. It seems like a lot to keep track of if you are trading back and forth declaring which target you are shooting before you work out the shot and the damage results.

Is this a low enough model count game that it isn't confusing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager

PostSubject: Re: Battletech - I ALMOST get it   12th April 2011, 1:14 am

Each player is meant to use no more than a Lance; ie four "models". We call them Mechs in the game because the term "model" can get confused with trying to describe a certain mech type.

We'll start demoing Battletech again at CHG soon if there is sufficient interest (we have ran games before, the player type discouraged the guy we had running the games) It was done before at CHG using complete 3D terrain. Phantom played several games with our judge that we had. If I can't get the judge to come back on a regular basis I'll see about running it myself.

I know CHG is a long ways to go for some folks, but hopefully it would be worth it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://castlehousegames.com
maxgravity
Servitor with a short circuit

PostSubject: Re: Battletech - I ALMOST get it   7th June 2012, 1:19 am

gamewizard wrote:
Each player is meant to use no more than a Lance; ie four "models". We call them Mechs in the game because the term "model" can get confused with trying to describe a certain mech type.

This isn't true. it's easier to learn the game at the lance level, but ther are game groups that play at the regimental level where each side has over 100 units on the table at once.

d , the reason for the way 3, 4 & 5 work is in order to prevent players from metagaming and doing things like shooting every single weapon on a unit they know is destroyed at the end of the turn. That's important because units typically have to track ammo and heat generation so most units aren't going to alpha strike jsut for the hell of it because they have to deal iwth the heat issues and ammo depletion.

Feel free to PM me if yo uhave any more questions. I've been a rabid BT fanboy for over 20 years now, so much so that I have a few minor writing credits in the line now.

-MaxGrav
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battletech - I ALMOST get it   

Back to top Go down

Battletech - I ALMOST get it
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1