Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Microsol and Microset

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

Microsol and Microset Empty
PostSubject: Microsol and Microset   Microsol and Microset Icon_minitime4th August 2009, 1:13 pm

Hi guys;

Which is better for decal application; Microset or Microsol? Wildeyed can you give me the link again to a good place to by it from? I can't seem to find the link that you provided before. I did a search on the blog site but couldn't find it.

I am trying to get our store copies of the new IG tanks finished and we need to get a proper decal solution to get the decals on professionally.

One of the guys that works in the store has finished them and they are beauts! The guy just started painting abut six months ago and has done a wonderful job with all our terrain and the new tanks.

I'll post pics of the landing pad and the tanks ASAP.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

PostSubject: Re: Microsol and Microset   Microsol and Microset Icon_minitime4th August 2009, 3:33 pm

Here is the link to the blog article I put up on them a while back - Micro Sol and Micro Set

As for which one works best it is a two part system. Put the Micro Set down to act as a glue, put the decal over it, then brush on a bit of the Micro Sol. Wait a few seconds and then smooth the decal out.

It all works best if you put down a layer of clear varnish where you are going to put the decal and then once it has dried put another layer over it. This makes it look painted on and really protects it.

I would definitely do a test decal on a junk model just to get the hang of it.

I don't know where you can get the stuff locally but I ordered mine off of Amazon. There is a link in the blog post. It was cheap and fast to get it. Less than $10 if I remember right.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Microsol and Microset   Microsol and Microset Icon_minitime4th August 2009, 9:52 pm

I've done decals for years but I just haven't used the Micros yet. I'll pick up a bottle of each and see how they work.

Thanks, D
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Microsol and Microset   Microsol and Microset Icon_minitime5th August 2009, 1:44 am

What Big D said. The trick is to remember that the "Sol" in Micro Sol stands for "Solvent." If you can remember that it's easy to remember which does what.

I have both, but have rarely used them. I haven't had the need to do decals in a while, but when I did I used the gloss method. Paint a little brush on gloss coat onto the area where the decal needs to go, then apply normally. After you're done do a normal dull coat as part of the finishing process and it looks great. No sign of the edge of the decal if you do it right. Of course, this is for fairly regular surfaces, if you are going to try it on an irregular surface, then the Micro Sol becomes necessary.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
gamewizard
gamewizard

PostSubject: Re: Microsol and Microset   Microsol and Microset Icon_minitime5th August 2009, 1:32 pm

The gloss method works most of the time but absolutely not on Space Marines, which is what I am building Sad

The curve of the shoulder pieces and the curved Ultra Marines piece just won't allow a good fit unless you use a solvent. And I'm a) just not able financially to buy individual shoulder pieces (five packs?) from FW and b) wasn't aware they had any until just recently.

I went to HT last year looking for the Micros but all they had was Testors Decal Solvent.

It works, but not as good as the Micros, I would imagine.
Back to top Go down
Fulminata
Interrogator
Fulminata

PostSubject: Re: Microsol and Microset   Microsol and Microset Icon_minitime5th August 2009, 6:01 pm

I've actually used the gloss method on Black Templar shoulderpads, but yeah, it's a PITA and usually requires some touchup work afterwards. Micro Sol would likely make it easier.

Micro Set/Sol is surprisingly difficult to get ahold of. My old FLGS managed to get some in once, but hasn't had any luck since then in restocking it. Whoever makes it needs to work on their distribution.
Back to top Go down
http://postgeek.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microsol and Microset   Microsol and Microset Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Microsol and Microset
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Top :: Hobby :: Painting and Modeling-
Jump to: