Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Eldar Hate Mech

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BIg Al
Necron Pariah visiting a shrink
BIg Al

My Eldar Hate Mech Empty
PostSubject: My Eldar Hate Mech   My Eldar Hate Mech Icon_minitime4th December 2010, 10:06 pm

The nids are going to take a rest for now. I love them to death and have been pleased with how they can dish it out. They do have a weakness that blinks like a 50ft neon sign - mech spam. I am shifting gears and am going to take a different approach to my 40K strategy. Build a list that focuses on dealing with mech spam. Get rid of the 'tincans' and make em walk. My Eldar seemed the right choice and they will fight fire with fire - 8 Eldar tanks. If you know anything about Eldar tanks, they are fast and difficult to take down. Here is the first 2000 pt iteration of that vision which I intend to playtest and refine.

Autarch (rides with Fire Dragons) x 2
Fusion Gun
Power Weapon

7 Fire Dragons x 2
Wave Serpent
TL Shuriken Cannon
Star Engines
Spirit Stones

10 Storm Guardians
2 Fusion Guns
Wave Serpent
TL Shuriken Cannon
Star Engines
Spirit Stones

9 Dire Avengers x 2
Exarch
2 Shuriken Catapults
Bladestorm
Wave Serpent
TL Bright Lance
Spirit Stones

3 Guardian Jet Bikes
Shuriken Cannon

Fire Prism x 3
Holo Fields
Spirit Stones

The idea is to have it all start in reserve and arrive turn 2 on a 2+. I want my alpha strike!

The wave serpents with Fire Dragons and Storm Guardians can move 36" due to star engines and are my knife fighters. If there are vehicles in range, I want them ramming the slow limbering engines of the moh'keh. Should be able to pull out a S10 hit pretty easily. Following turn I have fusion guns a plenty (Autarch could split off from the fire dragon unit to engage another vehicle if need be).

The wave serpents with the dire avengers are my mid-range vehicle snipers. They support the first wave.

The fire prisms will be my long range vehicle snipers. They will provide suppression fire where needed as target priorities change.

The jet bikes are there for objective grabbing. They should arrive late. I might trade the jetbikes for a vyper, but I like a fourth troop choice.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

My Eldar Hate Mech Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Eldar Hate Mech   My Eldar Hate Mech Icon_minitime5th December 2010, 12:17 am

Looks good have to be careful with a ram though. Supposedly in a FAQ somewhere a flat out skimmer that isndestroyed results in auto dead contents? Since the troops wouldn't be able to disembark? Was a topic of discussion just today at the tourney.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

My Eldar Hate Mech Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Eldar Hate Mech   My Eldar Hate Mech Icon_minitime5th December 2010, 1:06 am

BRB FAQ v1.1

5th page, 4 lines down on the left side.
Back to top Go down
BIg Al
BIg Al

My Eldar Hate Mech Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Eldar Hate Mech   My Eldar Hate Mech Icon_minitime5th December 2010, 9:26 am

Rulebook page 9, first paragraph on right side, "Whenever a rule uses the word "turn", both in this rule book and in the codex, it means 'Player turn', otherwise it will clearly state 'Game turn'.

I may be missing something, but that seems to be pretty definitive. I move flat out and ram you, I will not be victim to dead passengers in your player turn, only mine. It prevents Orks/DE or other armies with paper vehicles from flat out ramming, blowing up and dissembarking (open topped) and then assaulting. It closes a loop hole not to deprive a player from being aggressive and savy with his vehicles.
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

My Eldar Hate Mech Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Eldar Hate Mech   My Eldar Hate Mech Icon_minitime5th December 2010, 9:51 am

Big Al has it right.

If you flat out a raider into some terrain and it goes down on your turn then your passengers die with it.

If you move flat out in your turn and get shot to death in the next player's turn, the passengers can hop out as normal.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

My Eldar Hate Mech Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Eldar Hate Mech   My Eldar Hate Mech Icon_minitime5th December 2010, 9:54 am

If you move a wave serpent full of guys flat out to ram an opponent and your vehicle is wrecked (still in your player turn) by the resulting impact, all your guys inside instantly die. I believe this is the situation Wildeyed was referring to. The same thing would happen if you immobilized yourself on terrain after going flat out (very unlikely with skimmers, but still possible). I believe if it explodes you're fine as you don't actually disembark, but I'm at work so I don't have my books w/ me.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

My Eldar Hate Mech Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Eldar Hate Mech   My Eldar Hate Mech Icon_minitime5th December 2010, 11:05 am

PhantomPhoenix wrote:
If you move a wave serpent full of guys flat out to ram an opponent and your vehicle is wrecked (still in your player turn) by the resulting impact, all your guys inside instantly die. I believe this is the situation Wildeyed was referring to. The same thing would happen if you immobilized yourself on terrain after going flat out (very unlikely with skimmers, but still possible).

Right. A str 10 ram likely causes your skimmer to wreck Per the new FAQ, and the troops would not be able to disembark on your turn so they are destroyed. my wave serpents were less than pleased. It means you likely won't ram until their cargo is on the board.

It's an unpleasant side effect and fix to the ork rules, as you already said......
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
BIg Al
BIg Al

My Eldar Hate Mech Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Eldar Hate Mech   My Eldar Hate Mech Icon_minitime5th December 2010, 3:01 pm

I re-read the ramming rules and I guess I failed to comprehend the part where the rammer takes the return hit that includes it's speed as well. Hmm. I see the danger now. Trading S10 hits isn't exactly attractive when you think my tank will typically cost more that the ones I ram. Still think the strategy of a 36" move to get to point blank range is viable, just might not ram until everyone gets out - like Jester said.
Back to top Go down
PhantomPhoenix
PhantomPhoenix

My Eldar Hate Mech Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Eldar Hate Mech   My Eldar Hate Mech Icon_minitime6th December 2010, 7:51 pm

I'm not too familiar with the Eldar book so there's not a lot I can offer as advice, but the one thing I do see that I'm not too keen on is the use of Spirit Stones on most of your vehicles. I'm not sure they're worth the 80 points (total) you're spending on them. They're only going to change 1/6 of the Damage results so it's not likely that they're going to make a big difference in most cases. If you drop all the spirit stones you can include another small unit of Guardian Bikes, which puts you up to 5 troop choices.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My Eldar Hate Mech Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Eldar Hate Mech   My Eldar Hate Mech Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Eldar Hate Mech
Page 1 of 1