Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

tamiya weathering

Go down 
+5
capnwoodrow
littleboyblues
Wildeyedjester
big_d
woroxon
9 posters
AuthorMessage
woroxon
Necron Scarab with rusty hinges

tamiya weathering Empty
PostSubject: tamiya weathering   tamiya weathering Icon_minitime31st July 2009, 11:43 pm

Hello I'm a fairly casual painter, so far i have a few colors all from GW since I like them a lot (all my comparison points are just the testors paint that i used for plane modeling way back when i had 8 years). ok now I ordered a tamitya powdering (the one with burnt oil, red metal and blue metal.) case and would like recommendation on how to get the mos out of it
thanks.
Back to top Go down
big_d
Inquisitor
big_d

tamiya weathering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tamiya weathering   tamiya weathering Icon_minitime31st July 2009, 11:58 pm

I think WildEyedJester is your go to on that front. I know he has used them on his tanks and has had good luck with them. He will probably stick his head in here before long and hopefully he will dispense some of his wisdom upon us.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

tamiya weathering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tamiya weathering   tamiya weathering Icon_minitime31st July 2009, 11:59 pm

Its a great little product. The best advice I can give you is to use a sealer on your model first and then apply the weathering. The sealer helps the powder adhere to the model better. I use a pair of approaches when I am working with.

First, for dirtier spots I use the brush end and I just grab a bit of all the colors and brush it across the parts of the model I want covered. I apply it more generously in low areas where I think dirt and grime would settle.

Then I use the applicator end and put darker streaks in areas like exhaust spots, the front of the tank, and armor around the treads. It applies streaks that are more visible and noticeable.

Once you have it all weathered, DONT seal it again. A seal over Tamiya is disastrous and actually changes the look of the weathering to more of a paste.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehogsofwar.com
littleboyblues
Dreadnought
Dreadnought
littleboyblues

tamiya weathering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tamiya weathering   tamiya weathering Icon_minitime1st August 2009, 12:48 am

I demand close up picks of your tanks!

please Razz

I finished my first hydra tonight and in the next 3 or 4 months will start painting on my Death Korps.
Back to top Go down
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

tamiya weathering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tamiya weathering   tamiya weathering Icon_minitime1st August 2009, 1:07 am

I will try to shoot some close ups at Patriot Games when I have the tripod/camera rig out again.

The wife has had me move all my 'crap' out to the garage for some baby shower thing shes hosting this weekend......... Who was it that went and got someone pregnant anyway and why am I suffering the repercussions?
Suspect
Back to top Go down
capnwoodrow
Interrogator
capnwoodrow

tamiya weathering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tamiya weathering   tamiya weathering Icon_minitime1st August 2009, 8:28 am

Wildeyedjester wrote:

The wife has had me move all my 'crap' out to the garage for some baby shower thing shes hosting this weekend......... Who was it that went and got someone pregnant anyway and why am I suffering the repercussions?
Suspect

Here's your gift - a chance to look at this finely weathered tank of the Imperium. DON'T TOUCH! Now have punch and leave.
Back to top Go down
gamewizard
Castle House Games Manager
gamewizard

tamiya weathering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tamiya weathering   tamiya weathering Icon_minitime1st August 2009, 11:07 pm

Wildeyedjester wrote:
Who was it that went and got someone pregnant anyway and why am I suffering the repercussions?
Suspect

I blame the Kroots...... affraid
Back to top Go down
http://castlehousegames.com
DerangedFerret
Squat with the Squats
Squat with the Squats
DerangedFerret

Location : Crouching in a hole with a lasgun in Sulphur Springs AR

tamiya weathering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tamiya weathering   tamiya weathering Icon_minitime2nd August 2009, 5:00 pm

littleboyblues wrote:
I finished my first hydra tonight and in the next 3 or 4 months will start painting on my Death Korps.

As much as I hate to randomly switch the subject, did you say... Death Korps?
Shocked
I MUST SEE THEM!!!
Back to sweet sanity though, the Death Korps are awesome. And to stay on the topic of this thread, I bet a trench-themed army would need a ton of weathering. Mudsloggers can't seem to keep anything clean...
Back to top Go down
woroxon
Necron Scarab with rusty hinges

tamiya weathering Empty
PostSubject: thank you Wildeyedjester   tamiya weathering Icon_minitime2nd August 2009, 9:02 pm

I as soon as I receive it I will post a picture of my tries.
Back to top Go down
uponthisfire
Servitor with a short circuit

tamiya weathering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tamiya weathering   tamiya weathering Icon_minitime5th August 2009, 7:16 pm

I have been weighing whether or not to pick some of this stuff, also. I want to weather my SoB Rhinos and this sounds like it might do the trick.
Back to top Go down
Jackal
Wet behind the ears Guardsman Conscript
Jackal

tamiya weathering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tamiya weathering   tamiya weathering Icon_minitime6th August 2009, 7:30 pm

I have never used this stuff and just recently started reading about it on the blogs. I was wondering if you don't seal it again after applying does it rub off when you are using your models?
Back to top Go down
http://extremisdiabolus.blogspot.com/
Wildeyedjester
Inquisitor
Wildeyedjester

tamiya weathering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tamiya weathering   tamiya weathering Icon_minitime6th August 2009, 7:43 pm

I was concerned about that too at first. The dust from the dusting end of the tool will brush off the high parts of the model in question. If you use the applicator end you are smearing it onto the model and it doesn't rub off.

I guess it sort of all sticks to the sealer already on the model.
Back to top Go down
Jackal
Wet behind the ears Guardsman Conscript
Jackal

tamiya weathering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tamiya weathering   tamiya weathering Icon_minitime6th August 2009, 7:48 pm

Thanks for the quick response I will have to pick some of this stuff up.
Back to top Go down
http://extremisdiabolus.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

tamiya weathering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tamiya weathering   tamiya weathering Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tamiya weathering
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Top :: Hobby :: Painting and Modeling-
Jump to: